TEMPE, AZ - Lyman James Garrison, 92, passed away on Saturday, June 22, 2013, in Tempe, Arizona.
Lyman was born February 23, 1921, to Charley H. and D. Edith Turner Garrison in Wayne County, Illinois. His family moved to Peoria, Illinois, where he attended grade and high schools. During World War II he served as a Merchant Marine in the Atlantic, Pacific, and Mediterranean theatres. After the war, in 1947, he and his father started Lincoln Transfer Trucking Company, acquired later by his brother, Charles Dale Garrison. During the late 40's and early 50's, Lyman was a fast pitch softball pitcher for the Caterpillar Diesels, Keystone Steel & Wire, and Lehn & Fink teams. He founded Garrison Insurance Agency and Lincoln Heritage Commercial Investment Corporation serving as their President for many years. Also, he was a founding principle of Old Heritage Life Insurance Company and served as Executive Vice President and Treasurer. Lyman served as a member of the Board of Directors that built the current Logan County Safety Complex. He was a long-time member of the Elks Lodge, Lion's Club, VFW, and was a Past Commander of Constantine Commandry #51, member of Lincoln Masonic Lodge #210 and Ansar Shrine Temple in Springfield.
Lyman married Lois Johnson in 1937 and they had a daughter, Bonnie (Garrison) Vacca. In 1948 he married Glenadean Claybourn and they had a son, James Paul Garrison.
He was predeceased by his parents, brothers, Berthal Neal and Charles Dale Garrison, and a sister, Bertha Edith (Garrison) Imes.
He is survived by his long-time companion, Charlene Carlson, daughter, Bonnie (Micky) Vacca, grandchildren, Vicki, Tim, and Michael Vacca, and his son, Jim (Connie Dittus) Garrison, grandson, Ryan James (Perla Herrera) Garrison, a great-grandson, Wyatt James Garrison, and many nieces and nephews.
Visitation will held from 9-11 a.m. on Friday, June 28, with a Masonic Service following at Fricke-Calvert-Schrader Funeral Home in Lincoln, Illinois. A Private Burial will follow at 2 p.m. at Parkview Cemetery, 2001 N. University St., Peoria, Illinois. Memorials may be given to First Cumberland Presbyterian Church, Lincoln, Ill., or to the Shriner's Hospitals.