Terrance John McHugh Terrance passed away in his sleep Sunday, May 12th at the age of 92. His wife of 61 years, Lilli, was by his side as he took his last breath that morning. Terrance is survived by two daughters, Katie McHugh-Holroyd of Novato and Grace McHugh of Oakland. He will be lovingly missed by sons-in-law Steve Holroyd and Craig Merrill and four grandchildren; Krista Kane-Hernandez and her husband Jose, Terrance Kane and his wife Mistelle, Tyler McHugh-Merrill and Ethan McHugh-Merrill and three great grandchildren; Matthew, Christian and Diego. Even though his given name was Terrance he was affectionately called Ope by family, and close friends knew him as Terry. He was born November 2, 1920 in Rochester, New York one of twelve children to parents Owen and Mary Ann McHugh of Roscommon and Lietrim Counties, Ireland. Raised to be a true Irishman in the ways of Catholicism, traditional music and dance, story-telling, family values and general merriment. At the tender age of five, Terry was stricken with Polio and endured pain and hardship throughout his young years. As a result of his condition he acquired his sweet irregular gait. He attended Rochester Orthopedic School till he was strong enough to join his brothers and sisters at Immaculate Conception. Terry went on to attend high school at West High. His leg was sufficiently 'cured' and in 1942 enlisted in the Army Corp in a limited service capacity. He served two years at Camp Gordon Johnston and then in England and France with the 242nd General Hospital from December 1944 until his discharge in February 1946. In June 1948 he reentered the Army as a Medical Laboratory Technician. He joined the 4th Med Lab in Heidelberg. Also in that same year he met his love Lilli Bahr, a native of Germany, and they were married on February 12, 1952. Their first daughter, Katie was born in 1955, and shortly thereafter Grace arrived in 1957. In 1959 Terry, Lilli and family left Germany for good and settled in Fort Baker, CA. Terry joined the 6th Army Medical Lab and worked their until his retirement in 1966. In all he served in 22 years in the Army Corp. After he retired, he and his family settled in San Rafael, and he continued his career as a lab technician at Ross Valley Medical Clinic until 1976. He then went on to work with the Marin County Highway Patrol for 24 years as an Alcohol Blood Tech and finally retired in 2000. Ope was truly pure of heart. A selfless simple man whose kindness, sincerity and warmth could be felt immediately upon meeting him. He had an unshakeable faith in God and lived his life accordingly. He closed every conversation with a God Bless You. To say he was the best pappa a child could ever ask for would not be saying enough. His love and affection illuminated our lives and will shine in our hearts forever. Terry's memorial will be held Saturday, June 1st at St. Raphael's Church in San Rafael, beginning at 10:30 AM. Following the memorial a gathering will be held at Ristorante La Toscana in San Rafael.

Published in Marin Independent Journal from May 24 to May 29, 2013