Robert E. Jones
Feb 17, 1924 - Mar 12, 2013
Resident of Hollister
Robert Eugene Jones born in San Jose, CA to Ralph and Rose Jones on February 17, 1924. As a third generation native Californian he grew up in San Jose, amidst the splendor of the vast flowering orchards and beauty of Santa Clara Valley.
In 1942 he eagerly volunteered in the United States Army. Under the command of General George S. Patton he advanced to the ranks of Sergeant, and was taken to the fighting lines in Austria, Germany and France. He was awarded the Silver Star for carrying one of his wounded commanding officers to safety in the midst of battle.
After three years of military service he returned to his studies at Santa Clara University, where in 1948 he proudly earned a degree in Structural Engineering. Following his engineering passion along with his team partner/architect, Norton Curtis, many notable buildings on the campus of SCU were erected: Swig, Dunne and McGlaughlin Halls; Graham Complex; Sullivan Engineering; and Benson Center.
As a successful self-employed structural engineer he enjoyed living in the Almaden Valley. Upon his retirement he moved to Hollister.
His pride and joy was his cattle ranch, located in Paicines, CA. During the 1800's this historic property was once a part of the booming New Idria Quicksilver Mine.
In 2009 after a near fatal accident on his ranch his health declined. Prior to his accident he led a very active life attending many Santa Clara University Alumni functions, Elks Club
activities, traveling, and working on his cattle ranch. He peacefully passed away on March 12, 2013.
He is survived by his second wife, Doris I. Jones; his sister, Frances Jones Weller; his first wife, Jane Walters and their four children, Mark Jones, Patrick (Oh) Jones, Gayle (Steve) Newgren, and Cindy (Gary) Frazier; grandchildren, Greta Newgren (Jeff) Fitzgerald, Tyler Newgren, Colter (Szilvia) Frazier, Carly Frazier, and Chelsea Frazier.
The family plans a private memorial service.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests that a charitable donation be made to Santa Clara University, The Engineering Annual Fund, University Relations, 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053; or via the web at http://www.scu.edu/give/