Lorenzo Keith "L.K." Hubbard, 97, of White Hall, died Tuesday, April 30, 2013, at White Hall Nursing and Rehabilitation Center.
He was born April 24, 1916, at a farm home two miles south of Hillview, the second child of Earl and Mabel Rollins Hubbard, the first child being Stella Hubbard. Thereafter, six children were born to his parents, namely, Vera, Dorothy, Charles Edward, twins Martha and Mary and Betty. Janet Price, (daughter of Vera) was reared by her grandmother, and was considered a member of the family. Stella, Vera, Dorothy and Charles Edward, who died in infancy, preceded him in death.
His elementary education was in two single-room schools, and his secondary education was three years at Hillview, and one year at White Hall, where he graduated in 1934. Being unable to go to college at the time of graduation, he worked with his parents and neighbors as a farm laborer.
In 1938, he entered the College of Commerce and Business Administration at the University of Illinois
, thereafter entering the College of Law in 1941.
In 1942, as a result of his activities in ROTC, he was commissioned a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army Reserve in the Quartermaster Corps and was soon ordered to Fort Warren, Wyo., for further instruction and duty.
In late August 1942, he received orders for duty at the Boston Quartermaster Depot. While on duty in Boston, as a lone and casual officer, he requested an assignment outside the Continental limits of the United States, and within 10 days his request was granted, and he was ordered to Fort Hamilton, N.Y., in preparation for an overseas assignment. With no previous service with enlisted men, he was assigned 50 enlistees, all of whom had previously gone AWOL or jumped ship, and were under guard with live ammunition. In early January 1943, he and his contingent were put aboard the Queen Elizabeth, and six days later, having developed pneumonia on the boat, he was placed in a hospital in Glasgow, Scotland, and approximately 10 days thereafter, having been separated from the enlisted men, he was ordered to Taunton, England, and was there made an assistant warehousing and supply officer in general depot G-50, without being informed as to the disposition of his enlisted contingent. Thereafter, all of his duties in the E.T.O. were as a casual officer, with no troop command.
From late January 1943, he served in various capacities at said general depot in the warehousing of materials, and the supplying of troops bound for the Normandy Invasion. He had attained the rank of Captain, and among the major units he assisted in supplying were the first infantry, fourth infantry, and 29th infantry divisions, along with the 82nd and 101st Airborne divisions, and the first fighter field for U.S. troops on the European continent, near Carentan , France. He remained in the performance of those and similar duties at depot G-50 until late May 1945, when he was assigned briefly to similar duties in a general depot at Bristol, England, and from there was assigned to Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Forces, Frankfort, Germany. While at Frankfort, he was assigned to the Food & Agricultural Branch of the Economics Division of military government and ordered to Berlin. There he was placed in charge of the deep sea fishing fleet for the area in Germany occupied by the United States, which was stationed in Bremerhaven, Germany, resulting in traveling across the Russian Zone many times until March 1946, when he asked to be relieved of his duties with the U.S. Occupation Forces. He then started his travel home, first being transferred to southern Germany and then traveling to Antwerp, Belgium, where his ship home was delayed by difficulty with the propeller, finally arriving on April 12, 1946.
He returned to Law School in June 1946, graduated from the College of Commerce and Business Administration that fall, and the College of Law in 1947, both at the University of Illinois, and was admitted to the Illinois State Bar in January 1948.
In May 1948, as a solo practitioner, he opened his law office in White Hall and retained his own office without any partnership until November 2005, when he voluntarily terminated the practice. During that period he served briefly as an assistant Attorney General of the State of Illinois, one term as State's Attorney of Greene County, and from September 1976 until January 1983, he served as resident Circuit Judge of the Seventh Judicial Circuit in Greene County. Also while practicing he served one term as a member of the Democrat State Platform Committee of Illinois.
During his life he had been a member of several legal, farm, veterans and other associations and lodges. At his death, he had membership in the Illinois Judges Association, the President's Council of the University of Illinois, and a life member of the VFW
and Masonic Lodge.
In addition to conducting his law practice, he was engaged in farming, having purchased 80 acres of farm land in 1946, which he still owned at the time of his death, and made a number of additional farm land acquisitions until 1989.
He had first been a candidate for Circuit Judge in 1951, as a result of his attending a judicial convention which, at that time was the procedure for nominating candidates of the Democrat and Republican parties. At that time, the Seventh Circuit had only three circuit judges, which was the number nominated. All three Democrats were defeated and 25 years later he was appointed by the Illinois Supreme Court to the position of resident Circuit Judge of Greene County.
Funeral services will be held 11 a.m. Friday at White Hall First Baptist Church, with burial at White Hall Cemetery. Visitation will be from 9:30 a.m. until service time Friday at the church. Memorials are suggested to the White Hall Cemetery, First Baptist Church or a
. Airsman-Hires Funeral Home in White Hall is in charge of arrangements. Condolences may be left online at www.airsman-hires.com.