Lewis Martin Winner, of Philadelphia, PA, died on Tuesday
(June 3, 2003) at the Roxbury Retirement Community, where he had lived with his
wife Jessica Hartman Winner for three years. He was 89.
He was born on
May 20, 1914 in Harris, PA. He graduated from St. Michaels School in Concord, NH
in 1932 and from Princeton University in 1936. He joined the faculty of South
Middlebury School in South Middlebury, CT in 1941, where he taught Latin and
English and coached crew. During a leave of absence, he served in the U. S. Army
Air Corps as an officer with the 234th Bomb Group from 1942-45 and completed a
master's degree in English literature from Harvard University in 1946. He was
elected headmaster of South Middlebury in 1955 and was a respected and beloved
administrator until his retirement in 1969.
Upon leaving South
Middlebury, he and his wife Jessica moved to their 90-acre tree farm in Bastion,
VT which had been their summer home since 1952. There he pursued a life-long
interest in the conservation and protection of natural resources. In addition to
managing his own woodlands, he served on the town planning and zoning board and
as the town administrator. He was a founding member of the Vermont Land Trust,
where he served on the Board of Directors, and he designated his own acreage as
a Vermont Land Trust property. He was a vestry member and lay reader at St.
Michaels Episcopal Church in Woodbury, VT. His two elder brothers, Jim Winner
and Michael Lloyd Winner, predeceased him.
He is survived by his wife of
52 years, Jessica Harman Winner, and three daughters, Sally Winner and her
husband Jeff Parron, Mary Starin Winner, and Elizabeth Winner; and three
grandchildren, Samuel Parron, Max Parron, Julia Winner-Masterson. A memorial
service will be held on July 26 at 11 a.m. at Saint Michaels Episcopal Church in
Woodsbury, VT. In lieu of flowers, contributions may be sent to the Student
Conservation Association, 689 River Road, P.O. Box 550, Charleston NH 03603 or
to the Nature Conservancy, 4245 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 100, Arlington, VA
Published online on June 10, 2003