Stephen Dwane Tucker

ELGIN Dwane Tucker claimed God's promise and went to his heavenly home on Monday morning, June 17, 2013. Dwane was born the youngest of six boys on September 1, 1930, to Uriah Taylor Tucker and Vera Ella Mitchell Tucker in Mineola, Texas. He was raised in a loving hard working home.
With the Korean War on the horizon, Dwane decided to follow in his brother's footsteps and joined the U.S. Marines Corps in July of 1950. After boot camp and combat training, he joined the First Marine Division in Pusan, Korea. On November 27, 1951, he was transferred back to the U.S. where he reported to the second Marine Division at LeJeune, NC. He was then transferred to Rodman Naval Station, Panama Canal Zone and spent eleven months as an assistant Brig Warden. After that call of duty, he shipped out to Panama City and served as the Non-Commissioned Officer In Charge of the Marine personnel attachment of the Navy Shore Patrol Unit. In June 1954, he transferred to Quantico, Virginia, as a member of the Marine Barracks' Rifle-Pistol Team in Panama to compete in the Marine Corps Rifle & Pistol matches. He was a crack shot and earned numerous medals and awards. On July 16, 1954, he was honorably discharged.
After serving his Country, he headed home and began acquainting himself with his new nieces and nephews. He found work with J.B. Stovall Electric. Soon after, his eldest brother founded an Oilfield Electric Company in Odessa, Texas, and immediately recruited Dwane as his General Manager. He spent over 40 years, before retiring. While the Dixie Electric Company provided gainful employment, it also served as the avenue where he would meet the love of his life, Shirley Ann Jones. The two were set up on a blind date by a mutual friend.
In February of 1957, they united in Holy Matrimony and would celebrate over 56 years of marriage. The union bore two sons, Mark Dwane and Matthew Scott. The family became faithful members of the Vine Avenue Baptist Church, where the boys attended Sunday School and Dwane and Shirley served in many capacities. Dwane was ordained as Deacon and also served as the church Treasurer. In 1987, Dwane and Shirley transferred their membership to the Kingston Avenue Baptist Church, where they met and loved many dear friends. Dwane served as Deacon and Treasurer for many years until his health began to decline. He was a Christian man and served his Savior and always found great comfort in God's Holy Word.
In 1962, Dwane became an Odessa Downtown Lion. He immediately became very involved with the Lions Club and served his community for many years. In 1970, he was voted as the club's President. He also served as a Director, Tail Twister, and Gang Boss. He was instrumental in acquiring the winning bid for the E.C.I.S.D.'s concession booth at the Broncho's Barrett Stadium. Dwane and Shirley also served as the Broncho Boosters and followed their beloved Bronchos wherever they went. In 1980, Dwane was elected as the Booster Club President for two years. The highlight of that adventure was putting the big Red Broncho on the side of the field house at Odessa High School - a feat that took skillful strategy and planning. It always brought a smile to his face every time they drove down 10th Street. In 1984, Dwane was asked to serve on the newly formed Tri-Ethnic Committee and did so honorably until 1988.
The family would like to express a sincere gratitude for all the prayers and support from their dear friends and the staff of Texas Home Health Hospice for the wonderful care they provided. Memorial contributions can be made in Dwane's memory to the or the charity of your choosing.
Dwane was ready to meet his Lord and Savior and to be reunited with his parents and three brothers.
He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Shirley; two sons, Mark Dwane Tucker and wife Faye and Matthew Tucker; two granddaughters, Crystal and husband Sam Bradley and Michaela and husband Trint Ison; four great-grandchildren, Trevor Ison, Sammy Bradley, McKenzie Ison, and Grace Bradley; two brothers, Gerald Delbert Tucker and wife Anna and Huel Clive Tucker and wife Clarine; three sister-in-laws, Mary Ruth Tucker, Dorothy Ward Tucker, and Betty McCoy Tucker; along with many nieces and nephews. Dwane was a wonderful husband, father, and provider. He was healed by God when he was called home. He will be missed by all of us.
A memorial service will be conducted at the Elgin Funeral Home on Friday, June 28, 2013, at 2:00 PM with Brother John Taylor and Brother Bill Hall officiating. Inurnment will be private. Arrangements and care are entrusted to Elgin Funeral Home of Elgin, Texas.

Funeral Home

712 N Avenue C  Elgin, TX 78621
(512) 281-5697

Published in Odessa American on June 27, 2013