27 entries
The Guest Book is expired.

Harry Alfred (Al) Gallon
1930 - 2013
Peacefully, surrounded by family, at Renfrew Hospice. "Al," the great patriarch of our bountiful family: son, brother, husband, father, grandfather, great-grandfather, his legacy and memory secure for many succeeding generations. Son of Harry Lunan Gallon, a car repairman for the Canadian National Railroad, and Hilda Euphemia (Gallant), a school teacher who also operated the family general store in New Carlisle, Quebec. Predeceased by sister Beth, daughter Sandra and wife Connie. Survived by daughters Cathy, Pamela ( Ralph Roloff) and Nancy (Tom Conners); son Harry Chris (Nathalie Haddad); "Granddad" to David, Elias, Aviva, Joel and Jordan; Eric, Sonya and Anita; Ryan, Dylan and Nathalie; Nicholas and Quinton; "Great Granddad" to Karmyn, Jacob, Yoni and Jack. Al was born November 30, 1930 in New Carlisle, Quebec and graduated from New Carlisle High School in 1947. He attended Bishops College in Lennoxville, Quebec for a term before moving to Montreal where he worked for National Breweries. In 1950, he enrolled at the University of New Brunswick in the Forestry faculty. He played offensive guard for the UNB football team in his freshman year and participated in the Red and Black Revue. While in his last year at UNB, he met Hazel Constance Stacey and they married September 23, 1954. Upon graduation in 1955, Al accepted a position with Canadian International Paper and was posted to Maniwaki, Quebec. He was subsequently offered and accepted a position with Imperial Oil in Montreal, where their first daughter Catherine was born. Al shortly thereafter assumed the position of mill foreman with Pine Land Timber Company in Foleyet, Ontario and then accepted a position as a civil engineer with Federal Public Works, Harbours and Rivers Engineering Department, located in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Pamela was born there in 1957. In 1958, Al was promoted to Territorial Engineer for Halifax County and that same year, received his Provincial Land Surveyor's license. In 1959, he was hired by Canada Creosoting Company and moved to Truro, Nova Scotia. That same year, Sandra was born. Sandra suffered from a hole in her heart which at that time could not be remedied. Al and Connie were told by doctors that she would not live a year. Al credited Connie's "love, care and devotion" for sustaining Sandra for two and half years. Nancy was born in 1960. While living in Truro, Al joined the Kinsmen Club and was instrumental in helping build and maintain the first racially integrated public swimming pool in the area. He also helped establish a minor football program in Truro and provided counselling and guidance to underprivileged local children. Chris (Harry) was born in 1964. In 1965, Al accepted a position as Technical Service Engineer with Kenwood Mills and moved the family to Arnprior, Ontario. In 1967, Kenwood Mills and Formex amalgamated into a new company named Huyck Canada Limited. In 1968, Al assumed the Sales Engineer role in Quebec with Huyck and the family moved to Quebec City. In 1971, the family relocated to Nepean, Ontario and Al was promoted to Regional Sales Manager in 1972. He was actively involved in Nepean Minor Hockey as an assistant coach and team manager with Chris's teams. In 1976, he was promoted to Canadian Sales Manager and appointed a director on the Canadian board. In 1980, Al accepted a position with Huyck in Albany, New York where he worked for four years before relocating back to Canada in Braeside, Ontario. Al assumed the position of Vice- President of Marketing and Sales for Huyck Canada, where he worked until retirement in 1992. Al enjoyed his retirement planting trees and tending to his vegetable garden and he and Connie traveled abroad. In 1959, Al was inducted to the Masons and upon returning to Braeside, affiliated with the Madawaska Lodge. He was elected Master of the Lodge in 1996. Al was also a member of the Scottish Rite and became a Shriner, where he served in the clown unit as "Four Quarts" the clown. By 2000, Connie needed to undergo dialysis three times a week, which limited their travels. In 2010, Al and Connie moved to Quail Creek Retirement Home in Renfrew, Ontario. Connie passed away on May 29, 2012. Al gave to many public and private charities without acknowledgement or recognition. The entire family is indebted to his tireless, selfless dedication in ensuring our mom's many medical needs were met and that her quality and longevity of life were ensured. In a life well worn and full of accomplishment, that stands as the crown jewel of his enduring legacy. In lieu of flowers, the family suggests a donation to Hospice Renfrew, the Renfrew Victoria Hospital Dialysis Unit or the Kidney Foundation of Canada. Please join us in celebrating Al's life Saturday, November 16th at Chris (Harry) and Nathalie's home, 3732 Kinburn Side Road, junction of Highway 17 and Kinburn, Exit 169 off the 417, anytime after 1 p.m. Arrangements entrusted to the care of Anderson Funeral Home, Renfrew. Donations and condolences may be made at www.andersonfuneralhome.ca.
Published in The Ottawa Citizen on Nov. 13, 2013
bullet Teachers