ERNEST L. RANSOME, III was born August 9, 1926. He attended Phillips Exeter Academy, Exeter, New Hampshire and graduated in 1944. He enrolled at Princeton University
, attending one and one-half terms prior to enlisting in the U.S. Marine Corps
, stationed at Parris Island and then Camp Lejune. He later received special Marine training at Princeton University. After completion of this special training, he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant receiving an Honorable Discharge in 1946.
Resuming his studies at Princeton University, he graduated with an A.B. Degree in Economics in June 1947. In June 2001, he received an honorary Doctor of Laws Degree from the University of St. Andrews, Scotland. His extra curricular activities at Princeton included Varsity Football and Varsity Lacrosse. His outstanding athletic achievement was winning the Outstanding Athlete Award in both Football and Lacrosse, having been selected a 1st Team All-American Lacrosse player in 1946.
After graduation, he joined the Philadelphia firm of Johnson & Higgins, an insurance brokerage firm, in 1948. Later he accepted the position of Assistant to the Dean, Princeton University. While serving in this capacity, he also was Backfield Coach for Freshman Football and Head Coach of the Varsity Lacrosse Team.
In 1950, he joined the family-owned firm, Giles & Ransome, Inc., distributors of heavy construction equipment representing Caterpillar Inc., to assume the responsibility for credit collections and insurance. In 1951, he was appointed Assistant Treasurer of the corporation; in 1955, he was elected Vice President Administration; in 1969, he was elected Executive Vice President; in 1982, he was elected Vice Chairman of the Board; and in 1988 he was elected Chairman of the Board and still serves in that capacity. From 1966 to 1986, he served as Vice President of Ransome Airlines, a Philadelphia-based regional service which, at that time, was the largest commuter airline in the world. In April of 1986 Ransome Airlines was sold to Pan Am Corporation.
He was a member of the Board of Directors of the Garden State Bank prior to its merger with The Bank of New Jersey. He joined the Board of Directors of The Bank of New Jersey in 1971 and served on that Board and the parent Board, Bancshares, until he resigned in January 1981. He was a member of the Board of Directors of Midlantic Corporation from March 1987 to December 1995 and Midlantic Bank, N.A. and its predecessor Midlantic National Bank/South from 1981. From 1980 through December 1996, he was a member of the Board of Directors of Mannington Mills, Inc., a floor covering manufacturer located in Salem, New Jersey and from 1991-92 served as its Chairman of the Board. He also served on the Board of Directors of Sun Distributors (now SunSource), Philadelphia from 1987 to 1998. He is a former member of the Board of Trustees of the Riverton Library (1959-1979), the Zoning Board of Adjustments for the Borough of Riverton (1965 to 1969), the Board of Directors of the Riverton Country Club, and Campaign Chairman of the Zurbrugg Patient Services Fund for the Zurbrugg Hospital of Riverside, New Jersey (1971).
He was a Trustee and member of the board of Directors of Pine Valley Golf Club, which has been selected form many years as the No. 1 Golf Course in the World. He served as Chairman of the Board as well as President of Pine Valley Golf Club-Chairman from 1988 through June 2001; President from 1977 to 1988. In addition, he was a member of the Board of Governors of the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course in Manassas Virginia; was a Director of the Philadelphia Golf Classic from 1968-1970; and was a member of the Executive Committee of the Golf Association for ten years, as well as its President for three years 1965-1967. He was on the Board of Directors of the first Presidents Cup in honor of President George H.W. Bush held at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Course. Besides Pine Valley Golf Club he is a member of numerous golf courses, in the United States and abroad. His golf accomplishments include: twice South Jersey Amateur Champion, twice Club Champion Riverton County Club, once Club Champion Pine Valley Golf Club, winner James S. Coale Tournament Riverton County Club, twice winner Griscom Cup and twice winner Boyle Cup with Helen Sigel Wilson. In 1995 he was awarded the 1995 United States Golf Association Ike Grainger Award in recognition of giving 25+ years of his time and talents in volunteer committee service to the game of golf and the USGA. To honor his great contribution to the game of golf, in 1994 a group of his friends established in his name a Scholarship Trust at the University of St Andrews in Scotland.
Survived by, his wife Myradean, his three daughters Leslie (Greg) Hudson, Elizabeth Ransome, Jane (Wayne) Bromley, and numerous loving grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Relatives and friends are invited to attend his Funeral Service Thursday 11 A.M. at Christ Episcopal Church, 4th & Main St Riverton, NJ Burial private. In lieu of flowers family requests donations in his name to:
of South Jersey 11000 Lincoln Dr. W. Marlton, NJ 08053 or to Ernest L. Ransome, III Scholarship Trust c/o Michael B. Kennedy, Treasurer Pine Valley Golf Club 10 Baker Hill Rd. Pine Valley, NJ 08021.
Arrangements by: WEBER FUNERAL HOME 112 Broad Street, Riverton, NJ 08077.