FRANK H., M.D., 93, renowned physician and teacher, passed away peacefully at his home in Galveston, Texas, on April 6, 2013. He formerly resided in Narberth. Dr. Gardner achieved international recognition for his work in the diagnosis and treatment of cancers of the blood.
Prior to his retirement he was associated for 35 years with the University of Texas
Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas, as Professor of Medicine and Director of the Hematology-Oncology Division.
Born in San Bernardino, California in 1919, he received his B.S. and M.D. degrees from Northwestern University
, and was elected to the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society. From 1949 through 1966 he maintained a clinical practice in hematology at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital in Boston, and taught at Harvard Medical School.
In 1966, he was appointed Professor of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School. He served as Director of the Hematology Research Laboratory, and later Director of Medicine, of Presbyterian UP Medical Center.
In 2004, the Frank H. Gardner Conference Room was dedi-cated at the Penn Presbyterian Medical Center, recognizing his important contributions to the University of Pennsylvania as both an inspirational teacher and renowned hematologist.
In 2011, he was honored by the University of Texas Medical Branch with the award of the John B. McGovern Lifetime Achievement Award in Oslerian Medicine.
He is survived by his three sons: Frank W. (Linda) of Orlando, Florida; Peter (Patricia Smith) of Merion Station, Pennsylvania, and William (Lorraine) of New Braunfels, Texas. He is survived also by his two grandchildren: Caroline Smith Gardner, of Philadelphia, and Peter Smith Gardner, of Merion Station.
His wife of 63 years, Theo, predeceased him in 2010.