- ADVERTISEMENT -

Earl J. Johnson

Earl J. Johnson

GENOA: Earl J. Johnson, 101, of Genoa, educator and humanitarian, died Sunday, December 30, 2012, in Mercy-St. Charles Hospital, Oregon. Earl was born June 7, 1911, in Clay Center, Ohio, to Carson and Mayme (Jensen) Johnson. He was a member of St. John Lutheran Church in Williston and served in the U.S. Army during WW II from 1942-1945.

Earl was a lifetime farmer with dedication to soil and water conservation. But Earl's lifelong passion and vocation was education, for which he was honored over the years with numerous recognitions for his dedication to the youth of Ottawa County. He began his teaching career at Oak Harbor, Graytown and Rocky Ridge schools and was supervisor of elementary and secondary schools in Ottawa County from 1956-1969. From 1969-1979 he was Ottawa County Schools Superintendent and for 50 years was the timekeeper for the Oak Harbor basketball program.

Earl was truly a philanthropist for many Ottawa County Organizations: a sponsor of Ottawa County Top 10 Scholarships (one scholarship from each school in the county); instrumental in organizing a 4-H endowment fund; creating a single agricultural complex in Oak Harbor, the Earl J. Johnson Building; and the building of the Junior/Senior Fair Board office at the Ottawa County fairgrounds. For 35 years he had been a substitute mail carrier for the Curtice post office

His board memberships and service to the communities were many: the Ottawa County Retired Teachers Association, Owens Community College, W.S.O.S., the Toledo Area Council of Governments, the Silver Beaver for Boy Scouts of America, Toledo Area Council; Ottawa County Soil & Water Conservation District and the Farm Bureau, as well as a member of the Ottawa County Farmers Union and Genoa Grange. He also served on the board for the Ottawa County Community Foundation.

Earl is survived by his nephew, Jon R. Johnson of Columbia, South Carolina; sister-in-law, Grace Johnson of Williston; and her children, Ann (Michael) Nuhfer, Jane (Richard) Phillips, Patricia (Kent) Delventhal, Judith (Kim) Cruthers, Alan (Renee) Bowser; close friends, Bob & Diane Kapp, of Curtice; as well as many friends. He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Arnold Johnson and Robert C. Johnson; and sister-in-law Helen Johnson.

At Earl's request there will be no visitation. A funeral service for Earl will be conducted at 11:00 a.m., Friday, January 4, 2013, at St. John Lutheran Church, 21140 W. Toledo St., Williston, Ohio 43468. Burial is to follow in Allen Township Cemetery, Williston. The family has suggested that in lieu of flowers, memorials for Earl be directed to St. John Lutheran Church, 21140 W. Toledo St., P.O. Box 235, Williston, OH 43468; the Luther Home of Mercy, 5810 N. Main St., P.O. Box 187, Williston, OH 43468; or Ottawa County 4-H Endowment Fund, c/o Ottawa Agriculture Ext. Office, 240 W. Lake St., Oak Harbor, OH 43449. The Robinson-Walker Funeral Home & Crematory of Genoa has assisted the family with arrangements. Online condolences may be shared by visiting www.walkerfuneralhomes.com.


Published in the News Herald on Jan. 2, 2013
- ADVERTISEMENT -