Maurice O. "Red" SHAW

Passed away in his sleep on January 7, 2013 in Santa Rosa. Born on October 14, 1922 in Oakland, CA to Mabel (Bowbeer) and Charles Shaw. "Red" was looking forward to joining his beloved late wife Lavelle who he thought of daily and loved more than words can say. Dad is survived by his dear brother Charles Dana Shaw of San Mateo, CA and the late Carol Adams. Loving father to Maurice "Pat" Shaw and his wife Karin (who he referred to as his 'Florence Nightingale"), Randy Shaw and his wife Cathi and step-daughter Terri Rosatelli. Cherished grandfather of Alex Shaw of WA, Heidi Shaw of Australia, as well as Tim Rosatelli, Beth Rosatelli, Jeffrey Rosatelli, and Mike Corning. The family moved from Oakland to Alameda and then to Santa Rosa where he attended school and graduated from Santa Rosa High School. He started working at the age of 10 and his first job was for one hour each day and was paid $5.00 per month by the National Relief Act. He had various paper routes, morning and evening editions for the San Francisco Examiner. He was paid $5 a month and on Sunday morning he could barely pedal his bicycle for the first part of the route because the bags were full and heavier than heck. He also sold papers on the street corner and when ever Joe Louis had a heavy weight championship fight an EXTRA would come out in the evening (fight was always at Madison Square Garden in New York) and would walk through residential districts selling papers....papers were five cents and he got a two cent commission. One day, up the river selling papers, he sold a paper to Spencer Tracy and Jean Harlow. One other time he asked some guy if he wanted to buy a paper and he said "I'm sorry kid I can't read in the day time, I went to night school!" He had numerous jobs as a kid; he worked in a bakery, for Red Top Taxi, and sold hot dogs at a concession stand at dances. He worked for the Cannon Ranch off of Old Petaluma Hill Road from about the time he was 11 years old in the summers so that his mother wouldn't have to feed three kids. He was fed three wonderful meals a day and got to ride a horse. On Sunday (his only day off) he would ride into Santa Rosa to see his mother, brother and sister. The Cannon Ranch is just a mile or so up the mountain from the ranch where both his mother and grandmother were born. "Red" joined the Co. K, 184th Infantry of the California National Guard. He would say the reason he joined was that he was paid $1.00 each Monday night for getting into uniform. One time, due to a strike in a large lumber company up in the Sierras, he was called up for active duty to be ready to go up and break the strike if it got out of hand. He was sent to the California State Fairgrounds in Sacramento to conduct training while he waited to be called to go to the strike. He then went into the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps) which was created by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as a means to help poor families while at the same time performing a meaningful service. Their primary job was to build fire breaks, build dirt access roads through the forest, and the fighting of forest fires. The government paid $30 per month and $22 was sent home to his mother for her rent and food. He then joined the US Navy on February 14, 1941 and went to boot camp in San Diego. He then was assigned to duty on the USS North Hampton, a 10,000 pound heavy cruiser. Pearl Harbor was his destination and he was assigned to a group of ships known as the "Hawaiian Detachment". They operated in and out of Pearl Harbor on patrol, but all the while constantly training to prepare to fight a war if necessary. In the latter part of November 1941, they went to Wake Island in company with the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise to deliver a squadron of fighter planes to the US Navy base there. On return to Pearl Harbor they were scheduled to arrive there on December 7, 1941, but developed engine trouble and the arrival delayed by one day which means that they steamed into Pearl Harbor the next morning. The ship was hit by two torpedoes and was sunk. He swam in the ocean with fellow shipmates and sharks. They were picked up by the USS Fletcher after 24 hours in the water so weak that he had to use a rope loop. He stayed in the Navy until February 14, 1949 and was honorably discharged as a Chief Quartermaster. "Red" had various jobs after he got out of the Navy, one as a fire and inland marine underwriter trainee for Northwestern Mutual Insurance Company. On July 1, 1957 the family moved to Eureka where he went to work for George Petersen Insurance. He and Herb Petersen acquired the Freddie Slack Insurance Company which they renamed Shaw & Petersen Ins. The family heart fully thanks Lynn Rackerby for all she did for our father since his aortic valve replacement as well as Tara Arruda who was there for all his needs, especially his last Saturday. Hospice by the Bay was there for him this past week which we are very grateful for. A special thanks to the staff at Vintage Brush Creek for the wonderful care they gave Dad every step of the way and especially this past week. He will miss Suzanne's beautiful smile and sitting at the round table with Bud discussing daily 'goings on'. A Funeral Liturgy will be held on Saturday, January 12, 2013 at 11:00 a.m. at PARENT-SORENSEN MORTUARY & CREMATORY, 850 Keokuk St., Petaluma. Interment: Cypress Hill Memorial Park, Veteran's Section, Petaluma immediately following the service. Memorial contributions may be made to the Wounded Warriors, P. O. Box 758517, Topeka, KS 66675 or Hospice by the Bay, 190 West Napa St., Sonoma, CA 95476

Funeral Home

Parent-Sorensen Mortuary & Crematory - Petaluma
301 South Main Street  Sebastopol, CA 95472
(707) 829-5433

Published Online in the Press Democrat from Jan. 9 to Jan. 12, 2013