Chester A. Green
The Guest Book is expired.
Chester Green was born at a general hospital on Ralston Hill in Reno on June 22, 1917. He died at his home on December 2, 2012. His father was Leslie "Allie" Green, and his mother was Florence Filippini Green Darling.
Surviving him are his wife of 65 years, Lena "Lee" Porta Green, son Michael and his wife Janet and their sons Brian, Kevin and Alex; son Mark and his wife Katharine and their daughter Kristen; and daughter Cathleen Green Chinnici D.V.M. and her husband, C. Joseph Chinnici. Also surviving him are his brother-in-law Louis Porta and wife Carol, all residing in Reno. Chet was predeceased by his sisters Thelma Dusenberry and Charlotte Williams, and brothers Wilfred and Leslie Green, and sister-in-law Mena Porta.
He attended Babcock Kindergarten, Mary S. Doten Elementary, Northside Jr. High, and graduated from Reno High School in 1935. He received a B.A. degree from the University of Nevada, College of Education in 1939 and a Master's degree later from the same university.
During World War II he was a member of the 40th Chemical Lab Company and served in England and France. He was discharged with the rank of Master Sergeant. His maternal grandfather settled in Ruby Hill, NV in Eureka County in the 1870s, farming in that area. His paternal great-great grandfather was born in New Hampshire in 1806. His grandparents moved to the Nine Mile Ranch & Station in 1865 on the Walker River. It was a busy stage stop during the boom days of Aurora and Bodie.
Chet spent all his working years as a teacher and principal. His teaching career included Montgomery Pass, Round Mountain, Wadsworth and Yerington (where he was also the elementary school principal), as well as Northside and Central in Reno. He was appointed principal of Southside Elementary in 1955 and then the first principal of the Echo Loder Elementary School, and for a short period he was at the same time principal of Southside and Glen Duncan schools. He was appointed principal of the old B.D. Billinghurst School on Plumas Street in 1961, and on its closing, opened the Ed Pine Middle School, from which he retired in 1980. He considered himself extremely fortunate to have worked under a great school district administrative staff, from the superintendent on down. He, in turn, had an exceptional staff of teachers, many to whom he gave their first jobs, which they continued until their retirement. He was also blessed to have a competent and caring support staff, and cooperation from his hardworking PTA members. He was grateful to everyone for their loyalty, and particularly to his vice-principal and good friend, Ray Aiazzi.
He was awarded the patriotic Civilian Service Award by the Department of Army for his role in promoting Jr. ROTC at his schools. He was a lifetime member of the PTA and Veterans of Foreign Wars, a member of Retired Public Employees of Nevada, AARP, and Nevada Retired School Employees. He was a parishioner at St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral, where he and Lee were married in 1947. For several years he was a volunteer at St. Vincent's Thrift Shop.
Viewing will be held at Walton's Funeral Home, 875 W. Second Street in Reno on Wednesday, December 5th at 6:00 p.m., with a recitation of the Holy Rosary at 7:00 p.m. A funeral mass at St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral will be held on Thursday, December 6th at 10:00 a.m. with a reception in Msgr. Righini Hall to follow. A private burial will be held at a later date at Our Mother of Sorrows Cemetery. Donations in his memory would be appreciated to St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral, 310 West Second St., Reno, NV 89503, or to
, if you prefer.
Please leave the family a message in the Book of Memories at www.waltonsfuneralhomes.com.
Walton's Sierra Chapel, Reno
875 West 2nd Street Reno, NV 89505
Published in Reno Gazette-Journal from Dec. 4 to Dec. 5, 2012