Stephen John Day II

Stephen John Day

Stephen John Day II passed away on July 9, 2013, after 98 years of adventure, great work and wonderful times. Steve was born on April 16, 1915 on the south side of Chicago. His parents were Stephen John Day I and Elizabeth Mary Day (Majeres). Steve was the oldest of three sons (with George and Ed, both deceased). Steve started his business career early in life as a young golf caddy at the South Side golf courses, developing a life-long love for the game. He graduated in 1934 from historic Lindblom High School in Chicago. After school, in the depths of the Great Depression, he joined the Civilian Conservation Corps and was sent by train to Oregon to work at a CCC camp. This was a pivotal experience in his life, introducing him to the beauty of the Pacific Northwest and to travel on the "Empire Builder", a train route he loved and a trip that he would repeat many times throughout his life. He distinguished himself as a CCC leader and attended business college after leaving the camp. In the late 1930's Steve began his first career, working in several of the great hotels in Chicago. This work was interrupted by World War II. Enlisting in the Army Air Force just prior to Pearl Harbor Day, Steve had his basic training at McChord Field in Washington State. Beginning in April 1942, he attended officer training at Camp Lee, Virginia, then was stationed as an officer at the famous Tuskegee Army Air Field in Tuskegee, Alabama. After the war, Steve continued as a member of the Army Officer Reserve Corps, while returning to his career with Chicago hotels. Working his way up into management at The Stevens Hotel in Downtown Chicago (now the Conrad Hilton) Steve met his wife Catherine L. Day (Bell), who was also working at The Stevens. Moving on to executive opportunities at The Windermere Hotel in Chicago and The Oak Park Arms Hotel, Steve and Catherine had their first four daughters (Elizabeth, Suzan, Patrice and Cynthia). Pursuing his desire to run his own business and return to the Northwest, Steve partnered in 1954 with Catherine's parents (Jack and Lillian Bell) to purchase the franchise rights to the Hol-N-One Donut Company operations in the Northwest, Alaska and Hawaii. The entire family moved from Chicago to Seattle in that year. With their donut shops springing up in Seattle and in several Northwest cities in the 1950's and 60's, the bright yellow VW donut vans could be seen travelling from the Lake Union plant to the various Hol-N-One Donut shops. After moving to Seattle, Steve and Catherine had five more children (Sandrina, Stephen, Kathleen, Stefany and Andrea). Steve and Catherine were founding members of St. Matthew's parish, in north Seattle, where the children also attended elementary school. Steve was a long-time member of the Sandpoint Golf and Country Club and the Elks Club. After selling the business in the 1980's, Steve enjoyed world travel, golf, extensive train trips across the U.S., cruises, reading and Reno poker games. Steve lived a long, busy and productive life. He will be remembered fondly by many. Steve is survived by Catherine and by his longtime companion Genny Odegard, by his children Elizabeth (with husband Christopher Stocking, London), Suzan, Stephen (with wife Nancy Josephson and their children Anna and Audrey), Stefany and Andrea (with husband Kevin Huber and their children Mia and Nikolai), (all of Seattle), Cynthia (Redondo Beach, CA) and Sandrina (Washington, DC). He is predeceased by his daughter Kathleen.

Visitation will be on Sunday July 14 and Monday July 15, 1 to 6:00 pm at Acacia Cemetery. Recitation of the Rosary will be on Monday July 15 at 6:00 pm at Acacia. The funeral mass in Steve's honor will be held at St. Matthew's Catholic Church in Seattle at 11 am on Tuesday July 16, followed by a graveside gathering at Acacia, then returning to a reception at St. Matthew's.

Funeral Home

Acacia Memorial Park & Funeral Home
14951 Bothell Way NE Seattle, WA 98155
(206) 362-5525

Published in The Seattle Times on July 14, 2013