JAMES O. DARBY, JR.
January 26, 1922 - January 15, 2013
VICTOR POINT - Drive east on State St. twelve miles to the Silverton/Stayton highway, turn right, then quickly left on Doerfler Rd. to its end facing the still standing one-room Victor Point School. On the first farm south, Jim joined the James Sr. and Bertha (Krenz) growing family during the hard-scrabble great depression. There he attended grade school and spent the first twenty years of his life working on the farm and with area farmers in the first harvests of Highland Bent Grass - which was the inception of the Willamette Valley's present widespread seed industry. His two grandparents's original homes still stand - the Krenz house is the second south of the school and just west of it across the fields is the Darby home.
Jim, with older brother Marvin, enlisted in the Navy in 1942 and were assigned to training as "motor mechanics" for PT (patrol/torpedo) boats. Both served in the South Pacific, Jim on boat 331 of the 21st squadron in the New Guinea campaign where they were awarded a Presidential Citation with Silver Star after some 30 engagements with the enemy.
Returning to the States, Jim met and married hs wife Louise and upon separation from the service built their home on the hillside overlooking Misssion Bay north of San Diego where they lived out their lives. Jim entered the carpentry trade and did finish work on design, fabrication and installation of entryways in fine homes of the LaJolla and Pacific Palisades areas.
Jim was preceded in death by Louise, brothers Marvin and Wesley and survived by sister Jean Nelson and brother Jerry, both of Medford and Dr. Merlin Darby of Keizer. He and Louise are interred in the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery in San Diego.
A picture record of Jim's service will be donated to the Portland based SAVE THE PT BOAT where brother Marvin assisted in the boat's restoration.