Ben Charlson

7 entries | 1 photo
  • "Ben and I attended Fulton elementary and Peabody High. We..."
    - Harry Exler
  • "Ben was one of the finest men I ever worked for. He was a..."
  • "I only had the pleasure of meeting Ben (and Edith) a couple..."
    - Kurt Eggimann
  • "I wish to extend to you and to members of your family my..."
    - Chaplain Richard Reuer
  • "A great gent and gentleman of the first water!! He will be..."
    - Max Dixson, LCdr, USN Ret
The Guest Book is expired.

Ben Charlson, a pioneering engineer in the nuclear power industry who was part of an elite team tapped to design early reactor systems that powered the U.S. Navy into the nuclear age, died Sunday in St. Augustine, Fla. Mr. Charlson, who had been battling a long illness, died peacefully surrounded by his two daughters, who had cared for him in his final months. He was 83.

Mr. Charlson rose through the ranks of Westinghouse Electric Corp."s Bettis Atomic Power Laboratory to lead key aspects of that company"s Navy nuclear program. Early in his career, he served on a small team that designed the nuclear reactors that power the U.S.S. Enterprise, the nation"s first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier. He went on to manage the design and construction of propulsion systems for numerous Polaris-class nuclear-powered submarines, and oversee critical special projects, including the refueling of the Enterprise in 1968 with a nuclear fuel array that obviated the need for further refueling for more than a decade. Known for his ability to meet the exacting requirements of the nuclear Navy"s chief military officer, Admiral Hyman Rickover, Mr. Charlson was tasked to oversee the Naval Reactors Facility, then located at a government installation in Eastern Idaho.

After more than a quarter-century with Westinghouse, Mr. Charlson was recruited to Stone & Webster Engineering Corp., in Boston to advance its civilian nuclear power program. He managed some of the nation"s most challenging nuclear power plant design and construction projects, including projects at Nine Mile Point in New York and the Sequoyah plants for the Tennessee Valley Authority. He also managed an early project to extract oil from the tar sands in northern Alberta, Canada. Again, he rose through the executive ranks and ultimately served as the company"s chairman and chief executive officer. He retired from Stone & Webster in 1995.

A self-made man in every sense of the word, Mr. Charlson was born on the eve of the Great Depression on June 18, 1929. His father, William, was a Railway Express worker. His mother, Molly, was a retail clerk. Mr. Charlson often attributed his underprivileged upbringing as a major motivation for his drive and work ethic.

An imposing figure at 6" 4" tall, Charlson was a star athlete at Peabody High School in Pittsburgh, Pa. He was All-State center on the basketball team and played wide receiver for the football team, lettering also in track and volleyball. He was the first member of his family ever to attend college - the University of Pittsburgh, where he earned a degree in Electrical Engineering and played football. His college career was interrupted by the Korean War. He enlisted in the Air Force, and was assigned to military intelligence, where he served as a code breaker and analyst. As he was completing his degree at Pitt, he was recruited by Westinghouse to join the Bettis team supporting the nascent nuclear Navy. It was in that role that he developed a reputation for exacting standards, creative problem solving and highly effective team management.

Until his final illness, Mr. Charlson spent the summer months of his retirement in Arco, Idaho and his winters in St. Augustine. Mr. Charlson"s death comes less than four months after the death of Edith Charlson, his wife of 32 years.

He is survived by his sister Elaine Weisberg, of Monroeville, Pa., as well as three children from his prior marriage, Michael, Oakland, Calif. (wife Susan Austin), Frances, Half Moon Bay, Calif., and St. Augustine, (husband Harold Fethe), and Diane McQueen, St. Augustine. Survivors also include Edith"s children James Barnhart, Idaho Falls, Idaho, and Bonny MacDaniels (husband, Greg) Ladson, S.C. Mr. Charlson and Edith were also grandparents and great-grandparents many times over. Edith"s daughter, Sherry Bingham of Arco, Idaho, proceeded Mr. Charlson in death.

A viewing is scheduled for Nov. 2, 2012 from 5 to 6:30 p.m. at the Anderson Family Funeral Home in Arco, Idaho. The funeral will follow on November 3 at 10:30 a.m. at The Lost River Cemetery in Moore, Idaho. A memorial service will be held Nov. 11, 2012 at 7 p.m. at 170 Avenida Menendez in St. Augustine.

In lieu of flowers, please send contributions to: Ayla"s Acres No-Kill Animal Rescue, Inc., PO Box 1634, St. Augustine, FL 32085.

Craig Funeral Home ( Crematory Memorial Park is in charge of arrangements.


Funeral Home
Craig Funeral Home Memorial Park
1475 Old Dixie Highway
St. Augustine, FL 32086
(904) 824-1672
Funeral Home Details
Send Flowers
Published in St. Augustine Record on Oct. 31, 2012
bullet Air Force bullet Korean War bullet Navy
Powered By