Ronald Earle Schuldt

3 entries
  • "Psalm 90:10 says that the days of our years are 70 years,..."
  • "It certainly pains the family to see our loved ones fall..."
  • "On behalf of the United States Submarine Veterans (USSVI),..."
    - Bill Dixon
The Guest Book is expired.

Ronald Earle Schuldt was born July 21, 1943, to AnnaBelle Jorgensen Schuldt and Robert Schuldt in Mitchell/Chamberlin, South Dakota. Ron attended the Mitchell schools and graduated from high school in 1961.
During the summers, he stayed with his grandparents on their farm. He rode horseback out in the pasture, pulling cattle stuck in the mud holes and carrying a long bullwhip to snap off their heads and kill the rattlesnakes that were plentiful in the fields of the pasture.
After high school, he signed up with the Navy and left for boot camp. Not long after that, he met and married a young lady from Milwaukee. They were blessed with three children, Tom, Tammy and Debbie.
During this time, he was assigned to nuclear training school. After finishing top in his class, he was sent to submarine school. He finished this training and was sent to a nuclear submarine, the U.S.S. James Polk, where he spent the remaining years of his duty.
During these years, his sub was sent to Vietnam waters during the conflict. The sub was sent to locate the sub Thresher that disappeared in Norwegian waters. It was found at the bottom of the sea too deep to be raised.
The sub also went to Antarctica, where they were T-boned by a Russian sub that sank with all men aboard. Lastly, his sub was sent to the Bay of Pigs incident off Cuba. This was the closest situation to war the U.S. had to face in the '60s. Ron's sub had to help circle the Russian subs so they could not get into battle position. They finally went back to Russia. This was during the presidency of John F. Kennedy.
Ron was called to go home to take care of his family. His wife was struggling with the children. He went home, but he ended up losing his career and his family.
He wasn't able to find a job running an atomic power plant, so he changed gears and went to work as a design engineer for commercial water sprinklers. He was well-known and ended up in Hawaii doing some jobs there.
During this time, he drove racecars and became an outstanding bowler. He traveled the country going to tournaments, enjoying the places the competition.
In 1999, he met his current wife, Jeanne, and they married in 2001. Ron began having health problems. Doctors removed his prostate but didn't get all the cancer. A few years later, he was diagnosed with dementia, and it was a downhill struggle from then on. It ended the day of Aug. 10 at 11;15 a.m. with his wife at his side.
Ron lived a legacy of a gentle intelligent, stubborn and committed man. One who raced cars, loved animals, one who served his country willingly, one who hated to mow lawns and who adored his four cats he got for his wife.
He didn't like being in the limelight, so he stayed in the background. He had a dry sense of humor. He will be missed greatly.
Published in Brighton Standard Blade on Sept. 12, 2018