OBERLIN — Paulie Evans left us Feb. 19, 2014, after a very long struggle with cancer. She was a sweet wife, a SuperMom, a lovely lady, and a dear and gentle friend of many. She treasured her family and cared for them with great love.
Paulie was born in Baltimore, Md., where she was known as Mary. A graduate of Eastern High School in 1948, she arrived at Oberlin College, where her friends quickly changed her name to Paulie. She received an A.B. degree in history with a minor in religion in 1952.
In 1953, Paulie married David Evans, an Oberlin classmate who was a student at the Ohio State University College of Dentistry. During the years in Columbus, she helped work her husband through school as an editor with top government security clearance at Battelle Memorial Institute, a research company.
On return to Oberlin in 1958, Paulie became the aforementioned SuperMom. She also worked at Powers and Dawley clothing store, served as president of the Lake Ridge Academy Mothers' Association, was a member of the Lorain County Dental Auxiliary, and was very active in several roles at Christ Episcopal Church. At Kendal, Paulie co-founded and was chair of the memorial committee. She dearly loved living at Kendal and was an original founder in 1993. Her love for animals, especially dogs, was legendary.
Paulie left behind Dave, her husband of 60 years; son David (Liz) of Pinnacle, N.C., and daughters Betsy Owens (Bill) of Powell, Ohio; Pam of Oberlin and Susan Young of Ashburn Village, Va. Her five grandchildren are Frederick, Maxwell, and Samuel of Powell, Ohio, and Chloe and Lacey of Ashburn Village, Va. She will also greatly be missed by her dog, Kodai.
A private Holy Communion service was held at Christ Episcopal Church with burial in Westwood Cemetery, Oberlin. Dicken Funeral Home, Elyria, handled arrangements. A celebration of life service also took place at Kendal at Oberlin.
Memorial contributions may be made to Christ Episcopal Church, 162 South Main St., Oberlin, OH 44074; or Oasis Animal Shelter, P.O. Box 11, Oberlin, OH 44074.