Phyllis Armstrong

6 entries
  • "Our hearts go out to you. We know what she meant to you and..."
    - Gerald Franklin
  • "I worked with Phyllis for a few years at Woolco in the..."
    - Jay Salikin
  • "Deepest and heartfelt sympathies to you all at this most..."
    - Tamara Reynish
  • "It is terribly hard to see your loved one go from good..."
    - Kaathleen Joyce
  • "Uncle Al, Ed and Donna, my heart is broken and I wish you..."
    - Daniel Reynish
The Guest Book is expired.

Phyllis Armstrong April 18, 1938 May 1, 2011 Phyllis died in the ICU at RUH on Sunday, May 1, 2011 from severe complications of a routine procedure gone awry, and required many more surgical/treatment in less than 2 months. She struggled bravely and valiantly against her numerous medical complications, but the long fight proved too much for her. She did not deserve to go as soon as she did, nor should she have had to endure a very painful ending of her life. The family would like to thank the entire ICU staff at RUH for their compassionate care, support, encouragement and professional conduct. Phyllis Edith Armstrong (nee Reynish) was born on April 18, 1938 on the family farm near Prince Albert. Phyllis was predeceased by her parents, Edward and Mavis; her brothers, Leslie, James and Daniel; and her sister, Ethel. Phyllis is survived by her loving husband, Albert; her children, Edward (Edmonton, AB) and Donna (Kelliher, SK); her brothers, Sidney (Myrdena) Reynish, Stanley (Annette) Reynish, Wilfred (Marjorie) Reynish and Ted (Gayle) Reynish; and sisters, Gladys (Lionel) Ferguson and Edna Franklin; her sister-inlaw, Marg Kelly; and brothers-in-law, Frank Armstrong, Ken (Jen) Armstrong and Terry (Donna) Armstrong; and numerous nieces and nephews. Phyllis was a pattern of accomplishments in life. She was the first child in her family to graduate high school, and most certainly would have gone to university if it were feasible at the time. Instead, she joined the Royal Canadian Air Force, graduating first from her class as a meteorologist. In the Air Force, she traveled to Europe, finally meeting Albert (or Army) in France. They were married in Germany on July 20, 1963. Ed was born in 1965. They moved back to Canada in 1965, settling in Trenton, ON, where Donna was born in 1967. They were then transferred to Quebec, and lived in Arvida and Base Bagotville, before deciding to start from scratch with a new life in Saskatchewan. Army went to university and on to a career with Corrections Canada, and Phyllis began her career with Woolco, a job she continued to excel in when the family moved to Prince Albert, then back to Saskatoon again. Phyllis eventually became the Camera Department manager, then a Division Supervisor, and then a Division Manager. When Woolco became Wal-Mart, she again proved her worth by becoming a trainer of new staff, traveling all over Saskatchewan to do so, and then Night Crew Manager. She retired from her successful career in 2000. Phyllis was always strong, proud, and outspoken. She said what she meant, and did not suffer fools gladly. Yet she was always kind and compassionate to her family and loved ones. She will be greatly missed by all who knew her. A Celebration of Phyllis' life will be held on Friday, May 6, 2011 at 2:00 p.m. at Park Funeral Chapel (311 Third Avenue North, Saskatoon, SK). Interment of ashes will follow. Donations in Phyllis' name can be made to a charity of your choice. To send online condolences to family, visit . Arrangements entrusted to Derryl Hildebrandt of Park Funeral Chapel. 306.244.2103 .
Funeral Home
Park Funeral Chapel - Saskatoon
311 Third Avenue North
Saskatoon, SK S7K 2H9
(306) 244-2103
Funeral Home Details
Send Flowers
Published in The Saskatoon StarPhoenix on May 3, 2011
Powered By