More Obituaries for Howard Lovfald
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Howard Frederick Lovfald

Obituary Condolences

Howard Frederick Lovfald

Howard Frederick Lovfald, our much loved Dad and Grandpa, passed away at the age of 83, in the early morning hours of December 6th at St. Joseph’s Hospital due to complications from a stroke.

Known to his daughters as “Daddy”, he is survived and much loved by his only son, Allan Lovfald and his wife Scherry of Carlotta, and his daughter, Pam “Pammy” Gosselin of Fortuna. A caring and loving Grandpa, he was adored and loved so much by his grandchildren: Chad Gosselin of Red Bluff, Angie Ubaldi and her husband Paul of Petaluma, Heather and Crystal Lovfald of Fortuna and great grandchildren, Dominic Stephen and Julia Marie Ubaldi of Petaluma. Daddy also leaves behind his brother-in-law, friend and frequent companion, Sammy Jones of Birmingham, England, and his beloved cat, Holly. His many surviving relatives include nephews, Steve, Dave, and Jeff Lovfald of Eureka, Phil Jones of Leicestershire, England; his cousins and their families, Harvey Paulsen of Eureka and Karen Stone of McKinleyville, as well as the McKenzie and Cunningham families.

Daddy was a very loving, husband and father and was broken hearted with the passing of our mom and his beloved wife, Edna, in February 2004, followed by our sister, Glenys, in February 2005. He is also preceded in death by his parents, Fred and Marian Lovfald; brother, Gerald Lovfald; aunt, Elvira “Sis” Paulsen; his cousins, Hazel Cunningham and Homer and Lloyd McKenzie; mother and father-in-law, Samuel and Mary Ellen Jones; and his special little dog, Charlie.

Born in Eureka on September 4, 1923, our Dad was a true Humboldt County boy in every sense of the word. He grew up in Fieldslanding and knew “South Bay” like the back of his hand. He skulled for ducks, set out homemade Brandt decoys, hunted from the blind on the South Spit, dug for clams, walked the brush for deer, fished the local rivers and surf fished the ocean. After graduating from Eureka High School, he enlisted in the Army Air Corp and was stationed in England as a Staff Sergeant during World War II. It was at the Palentine Pub in Blackpool, England, that this very handsome, young “yank”, met his one and only love, Edna Jones. Married on August 25, 1945, Daddy came back stateside followed shortly by his young wife and baby daughter, Glenys. As his family began to grow, he bought our house at 2405 Williams Street where our family resided until we moved to Fortuna in 1971.

A Master Mechanic, our Dad worked for Holmes-Eureka Lumber Company in Eureka until being transferred to the Pacific Lumber Company in Scotia in the late 50’s. Stranded in Scotia during the “64” flood, he and fellow employees were crucial in removing and saving machinery from the rising waters of the Eel. Much to the family’s elation, P.L. flew Daddy out of Scotia on Xmas Eve, via Highway 101, so he could spend Xmas with his family. Though he was happy to be with us, I remember him crying at the kitchen table most of the evening in sorrow for his many friends and their families who watched as their homes, belongings, and animals were taken by the unforgiving river. A veryresponsible and loyal employee, he insisted on flying back to Scotia the next day and was there until the Blue Slide Road became the main artery between Eureka and Scotia. Eventually becoming the Mechanical Superintendent for PL, he was responsible for keeping the Scotia, Fortuna, and Carlotta plants and up and running and was able to visit many areas of the U.S. and Canada in search of the latest and best machinery for the mills. Very proud to have worked for John Campbell and the Pacific Lumber Company, Daddy retired in 1988. The last few years he has been extremely saddened to witness the continued demise of what was a great company.

Our Dad’s retirement years were happily spent with our mom, us kids and grandkids. He so enjoyed his summer place in Dinsmore, fishing the Eel and Ruth Lake (his proudest catch was a beautiful, 52 lb Salmon from the Eel at Hi-Rock), hunting with Allan and Chad, cutting firewood, and traveling to Reno. When our mom’s health declined, he devotedly took over every aspect of her health care. When he was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer in 2001, he beat all odds by surviving a major surgery, followed by 6 weeks in the hospital, in order to continue caring for his wife.

Daddy was a devoted and loving husband, dad, grandpa, great grandpa, father-in-law and friend. A role model to all. He taught us so much especially that time spent with family was the most important time of all. Whether it was going for rides to the gas station to “fill it up with Ethyl”, cruising 2nd Street to watch the “action” during the 50’s, looking for the fire when the general alarm went off, spotlighting rats at the Hookton Road dump, weanie roasts at the ocean, swimming in the Van Duzen, camping in out of the way places, 4-wheel driving, riding 4-wheelers, shooting guns, “keeping our eyes peeled” while road hunting, fishing in the early morning hours, going to the snow, cutting firewood, picking blackberries - it didn’t matter what it was - they were all great times as we were with the man we loved so dearly. He was the best of the best--we will miss him more than words can say.

The family would like to thank his special caregiver, Kris Johnson, for the compassion she showed our Dad as well as all the extra things she did for him. “Kris, Daddy thought of you as another daughter, Thank you.” Also, thank you to Pat Smith for her ever giving spirit and her willingness to go over and beyond the call of duty. To Drs. Matthews, Wolfe, Rydz, and Baird: We are so grateful for your support and care throughout our Dad’s illnesses. And finally, a big thank you to the wonderful staff at the Dialysis unit. We so appreciate the tenderness and friendship you gave our Dad throughout the past seven years. You made a very tough time so much easier for him (Jessica - he so enjoyed talking and sharing stories about Somes Bar and the old “Grant Place” with you).

All friends and relatives are invited to attend chapel services on Tuesday, December 12th, at 2:00 p.m at Sander’s Funeral Home, Del Norte and E Streets, followed by a Veteran’s Interment at Ocean View Cemetery. Immediately following the interment, please join us in a reception celebrating our dad’s life at O.H.’s Townhouse, 6th & Summer Streets in Eureka. Memorial contributions may be made to the Miranda’s Rescue, 1603 Sandy Prairie Road, Fortuna, CA 95540 or the charity of your choice.

Please sign the guest book www.times-standard.com, click on obituaries.

Published in Eureka Times-Standard on Dec. 9, 2006
Read More