John T. Freas

John T. Freas, 68, of Duryea, peacefully passed away Friday, March 22, at his home surrounded by his loving family. His loving wife of 19 years, Diane (Matt) Freas, cared for him throughout his courageous battle with cancer.

He was born in Taylor March 7, 1945, and was the youngest son of the late Samuel and Ann (Giger) Freas.

After graduating from Moosic High School, he enlisted and served in the U.S. Navy until 1966. He then entered the workforce at American Can, Scranton, then worked at Techneglas in Pittston for 27 years in quality control. Following his retirement, he was employed by Weis Markets, Duryea. John was a member of Nativity Of Our Lord Parish, Duryea, the Duryea American Legion Post 585, The VFW Post 1227, Duryea, and a social member of the West Side Social Club, Avoca.

He enjoyed hunting, fishing, crossword puzzles and most of all cooking and canning from his large vegetable garden. He always was willing to lend a helping hand with a smile on his face and a kind word to say. John enjoyed spending time with his family and friends; he was loved by all who knew him and he will be sadly missed.

In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by his brothers, Joseph and Samuel Freas Jr.; and his mother-in-law, Mary Matt.

Besides his wife Diane, John is survived by his daughters, Alicia Adams and Tara McCann, Suscon; Maria Vitelli, Duryea; grandchildren, Kaylee Roberts, Madyson Villegas, Falin McCann and Jeffrey Adams. Also surviving are his sisters, Mary Ann Bieryla, of Greenwood, and Betty Orlando, Pittston; several nieces, nephews, great-nephews and the family cat, Jackson.

Funeral services will be held Monday at 9 a.m. from Kiesinger Funeral Services Inc., 255 McAlpine St., Duryea, with a Mass of Christian Burial at 9:30 a.m. at Sacred Heart of Jesus Church, Duryea, with the Rev. Andrew Sinnott officiating. Friends may call Sunday from 5 to 8 p.m.

John's family thanks Dr. James Kosik and staff, Dr. Kishori and staff, and the nurses and staff of Hospice of The Sacred Heart for the care that John received. Online condolences may be made at

Published in Times Leader on Mar. 23, 2013