Dr. Hudson H. Bates

Bates, Dr. Hudson H. WORTHINGTON, Mass. Dr. Hudson Hard Bates, M.D.,89, died February 6, 2013, at home with his loving wife, Linda, by his side. Dr. Bates loved the town of Worth-ington, and often spoke of the closeness he felt from his grandparents and extended family while visiting there as a child. He and Linda spent the last 29 years in Worthington where he was a member of the First Congregational Church. Dr. Bates was born in Boston on July 12, 1923. He was the son of the late Frank W. Bates II., and Frances Hard Bates. He is predeceased by his son, Dr. Todd Bates of Florida and his brother, Frank Bates of Maine. After graduating from Boston University Medical School in 1947, Dr. Bates completed his internship at Fordham Hospital in New York. He worked at the Veterans Administration hospitals in Albany, Bay Pines, Fla., and in Northampton, Mass. He was assistant associate psychiatrist and instructor of psychiatry at Albany Medical College and was also the chief of alcohol and drug dependency treatment programs at the V.A. in Albany. After 35 years with the V.A., he retired and spent the next 12 years as a locum tenens psychiatrist for CompHealth, traveling the country, serving where needed until 2003. He was a lifetime member of the American Psychiatric Association and also a member of the American Medical Association. During his time at B.U., Dr. Bates joined the Army Specialist Training Program and from 1951 to 1954, he served in Austria as a captain in the U.S. Army Medical Corps. There he served as a division psychiatrist until returning to the United States He then served in the reserves until discharge in 1959. He was awarded the World War II Good Conduct Medal and the World War II Victory Medal for active duty in the United States. Hudson always had an "open door" policy, enjoying anyone who would sit down for a cup of tea and cookies. He especially enjoyed his grandchildren and great-grandchildren as they ran around the backyard. He would say, "Listen to that, Linda, that is the sound of pure joy!" He was so proud of all of the accomplishments of his children and grandchildren, however big or small. He was everyone's cheerleader. Growing up in a musical family, Hudson developed a love for music and singing at a very young age. He played the ukulele, guitar, bass, and piano. He also played the trumpet in high school and while at B.U., he played in a group with Arthur Fiedler as conductor. He took great pride in listening to his children play and sing along with him. Hudson also loved the farm and at one time owned many cattle. While in Worthington, he enjoyed having horses and other animals. He and his wife, Linda, loved to sit on lawn chairs in the pasture where the horses, chickens, dogs and cats would follow. Hudson is survived by his wife, Linda Tice Bates, and their two children, David Bates and his partner, Vern Kaiser of Oklahoma, Jennifer Bates of North Carolina, and his daughter-in-law, Dr. Susan Peppers-Bates of Florida. He is also survived by four children from his previous marriage to Berta Bates of New York, Sylvia Nye of Massachusetts, Dr. Hudson Bates and his wife, Dr. Helen Cunny of North Carolina, and Bruce Bates and his wife, Maria of Tennessee, and Laura Bates of New York. He is also survived by seven grandchildren, James Fifield and his wife, Ilene; April Riggott and her husband, Patrick; Kyle Bates, Haley Bates, Kathryn Bates, Anne-Marie Bates and Sophia Bates. Eight great-grandchildren knew and loved their great- grandpa very much. They are, Tyler, Angelica, Aidan, Kiersten, and Rileigh Fifield and Johnathan, Kendall and Mason Hudson Riggott. Grandpa Bates loved to drive the tractor, pulling a wagon full of grandchildren behind. They would head to the beaver pond to fish, build a campfire, and paddle around the pond. A loving and generous husband, father, grandpa and great-grandpa, and friend to all, Hudson Bates will be greatly missed by cousins, neighbors, friends, and colleagues so very much. A memorial celebration of Hudson's life will be held in early July 2013. A very special thank you, which is difficult to express in words, goes to the Hospice of Northampton. They were, and continue to be, a support and comfort to the family in measurable ways. Memorial contributions may be made to Hospice of Cooley Dickenson, 168 Industrial Drive, Northampton, MA 01060. We move on with Hudson's smile and cheer in our hearts.

Published in Albany Times Union on Feb. 19, 2013