Frederickson Pages (100+)
See More >
Frederickson Mentions
See More >

James E. Frederickson

Obituary Condolences

James E. Frederickson, 97, passed away peacefully on Sunday, April 8. He was a resident at the St. Luke's Miners Memorial Geriatric Center, Coaldale. He was the husband of the late Mae E. (Laudig) Frederickson, who died Feb. 20, 1991. They had been married for 57 years.
He was a son of the late Charles H. and Annie H. (Keller) Frederickson and was born in the homestead on Keller's Road, Hometown.
James was born in the same house his mother was born in. The house is still standing on Keller's Road and is currently the residence of the first non-lineal owners since the house was built by his grandfather, Aaron Keller, in 1860.
Aaron married Louisa Goodyear, a German girl employed at the "Hometown Hotel."
Louisa gave birth to 11 children in this house, one of them being Annie Harriet Keller, who was Jim's mother. Annie married Charles Henry Frederickson, Copenhagen, Denmark. Annie gave birth to six children in this house The house in now about 150 years old and still stands tall and clean as though it was remembering the dreams and memories of all those it had sheltered, and proud of the important part it played in the history of Hometown.
James went through the eight grades in the One-Room School House in Hometown and graduated in 1932 from Tamaqua High School.
After graduation, he worked on the farm and for his brother, who owned the Central Service Garage, next to the post office in Tamaqua.
In 1937, he went to work for General Motors Car Assembly Plant in Linden, N.J. In 1942, the auto plant was converted to build the Grumman F4F Wildcat Fighter Plane for the Navy. He was deferred from the services and supervised the forming of fuselage and wing parts for the planes. The plant and all the employees were awarded the Navy "E" Certificate for excellence.
In 1947, the plant was converted back to a car plant.
In 1948, he was transferred to the General Motors Plant in Framingham, Mass., where he became Superintendent for Painting Operations. He held this position until he retired in 1974 and moved back to Hometown.
He was an avid hunter and fisherman and his hobbies were woodworking and gardening.
Frederickson was a member of St. Peter Church, Locust Valley, and a life member of the Hometown Fire Co. and the Little Schuylkill Conservation Club.
Surviving are a son, David A., and his wife, Gale, of Andreas; a daughter, Ruth L. Lang of Tamaqua; four grandsons, two granddaughters, three great-grandsons, a great-granddaughter and several nieces and nephews.
He was also preceded in death by a son, James L.; a granddaughter, Jamie C. Frederickson; three brothers, Robert, Charles and William; and two sisters, Naomi McGhee and Louise Fox.
Service: Funeral service noon Thursday, April 12, Lamar Christ Funeral Home, Hometown, with the Rev. Janet Kline officiating. Interment, White Church Cemetery, Rush Twp. Call 10 a.m.-noon Thursday. Contributions in his name may be made to the Tamaqua Library.

Published in Times News on Apr. 10, 2012
Read More