May 29, 1924 - January 4, 2014
John took his last breath on this Earth, on January 4, 2014. Survived by his loving wife, Gina, together for almost 29 years. Also survived by his daughter Diana (Barrie), son Robert (Lori), grandchildren Jennifer (Peter), Ian (Adrienne), Jeremy, Emma, Riley, & Alysha, & great-grandchildren Robin & Annamerlijn. His eyes would sparkle, & a smile would light up his face, right up to the last visit by a loved one. Predeceased by his parents Herbert & Mae Gritten, sister Patricia, brothers Walter, Peter, & Michael, & sons Peter, Ian, & Jonathan. John was born in Portugal, where his father was stationed as a submarine cable operator, for Cable & Wireless Company. Two years later, the family moved back to England. When John was nine, his Father moved the family to the jungles of Argentina, where he was hoping to establish an English colony. This was the first great adventure of John's life, but unfortunately the plan didn't work out, & the family moved back to England after one year. John became an avid boy scout & a member of the Home Guard, at the advent of the Second World War. He then went to work for Cable & Wireless Company, & was stationed in many exotic locales, such as Ascension Island, the Middle East, Gibraltar, & Jamaica, where he met & married his first wife, Marguerite. Their eldest child, Diana, was born there. The family then moved to BC, where John worked for BC Tel, & then became president of his own telecommunications company. Of the four sons who were born in BC, Peter died before his second birthday, & Ian & Jonathan were killed in a tragic car accident in 1980. John always said, "You don't get over the death of a child, but you learn to live with it". John changed careers to financial planning, & was the 23rd member in Canada to attain his CFP designation in 1983. In 1985, Gina began working with him, on a 90 day trial basis. After a couple of months, she began to fall in love with him, because he gave the same care & attention to clients who had very little money, as he did to the wealthier clients. She then gave him 90 days to decide if he wanted to be in a personal relationship, as well as a business relationship. They were married in 1986. Gina was his third wife, & the one he said, "was the love of my life". John was a great communicator, & when no human beings were present, he could be found doing bird calls & dog whistles, in order to converse with other creatures. He was fearless when it came to asking difficult questions, & frequently wrote letters to the editor & the Prime Minister. John was also a voracious reader, & enjoyed working in the used book sale division of the Rotary Club of White Rock, in his later years. The family wishes to thank the staff of the Weatherby One Pavilion, at Peace Arch Hospital, in White Rock, BC, for all their compassionate care & service. A private family celebration of John's life will be held at a future date.

Published in Vancouver Sun and/or The Province from Jan. 10 to Jan. 11, 2014