Lionel Herbert Salt

2 entries | 1 photo
  • "Dear Barry... I don't know that you will remember me but I..."
  • "Lionel was a newspaperman's newspaperman, whose news..."
    - Michael Sasges
The Guest Book is expired.

Lionel Herbert Salt October 28, 1920 - April 10, 2016 Born in Abbotsford, Lionel died at Morgan Place on Sunday, April 10, 2016, at the age of 95. Predeceased by his brother Arthur (1942) and wife Margaret (1997); he is lovingly remembered by his children Barry, Trudy (Peter), and Andy (Barbara); grandchildren Graham (Eryn), Brendan (Megan), Jenn (Andrew), and Geoff; great grandchildren Ewan, Shea, Aubrey, Addison, and Hudson. Lionel grew up in Dunbar and graduated from UBC in 1946 after a three year hiatus for service with the RCAF attached to RAF 100 squadron as a navigator on Lancaster bombers. At UBC, much to the chagrin of his professors, more of his time was spent working on the student newspaper, The Ubyssey, than in class. It was at The Ubyssey that he met his future wife, Margaret Reid, made many lifelong friendships, and chose journalism as his career. He started at the News Herald as a City Hall reporter and moved to The Vancouver Sun in the early 1950's. At The Sun he shifted into a desk position, much of it as wire editor, as it allowed him to spend more time with his growing family at home in Marpole. He was an avid sports fan, a voracious reader, and a devotee of jazz. By nature pessimistic, stubborn, and reserved, he had a dry sense of humour, rankled at bad grammar and did not suffer fools gladly. Retiring from The Sun in 1985 he and Mom moved to Ocean Park Grove in South Surrey and enjoyed annual trips to Maui and other travels for several years. He was mechanically inept and a technophobe yet when Mom suffered a series of strokes he became her devoted caregiver and learned to drive at the age of 74 as he took on all the household responsibilities. His world contracted sharply with Mom's death in 1997 but he maintained a fierce independence until his own health declined after a fall 7 years ago. It was only through his dogged determination and Barry's unwavering dedication that he was able to remain in his own home until 18 months ago. The family would like to thank the staff of Morgan Place for their compassionate and respectful care. No service by request.

Published in Vancouver Sun and/or The Province on Apr. 16, 2016
Powered By