Roy Faber

  • "Dan and family, Our deepest sympathy goes out to you and..."
    - Adel Abunasser
  • "Grandpa, You will be missed Greatly. I will look back..."
    - Jennie, Keith, Taylor, and Rebecca Whitlow
  • "Mrs. Faber, Mike, Terri, and family - We are very sorry for..."
    - Clay and Kathy Alward
  • "I hope you were watching your service today - it was..."
    - Lois Faber
    - Lois Faber

FABER ROY FABER Roy Faber has answered his last call with the Lake Monticello Rescue Squad. He died on Monday, May 9, 2011 as a result of a heart attack. We already mourn the loss of the head of our family, the one we could depend upon, the one we consulted for advice and the one who was always available to us all. Roy was born on March 27, 1935 in Cleveland, Ohio. He attended High School in Parma, Ohio, after he moved there to live with his mother. Lois lived down that same street and that's how they met. After high school, Roy attended two years at Baldwin Wallace College and then joined the U.S. Coast Guard. He went to various schools in various places and became an Aviation Electronicsman. Before reporting for duty at the Coast Guard Station in Port Angeles, Washington, he returned to Parma to marry Lois and to take her with him to his new base. His first son, Dan, was born in Port Angeles. After discharge from the Coast Guard, and having the required background, he returned to Parma and signed on to become an Air Traffic Controller. He trained in Oklahoma City, worked in Cleveland, New Jersey, Virginia and DC. His second son, Mike, was born in Ohio. While attending NAFEC in New Jersey, he enrolled at Stockton State University and finally collected his BA degree. Roy was a talented wood carver who won many blue ribbons and awards for his work. Annual art shows held at Tyson's Corners usually ended with him selling everything he brought to the table. When he retired, he and Lois began to look for properties where they would like to live and where their grandchildren would want to come. They settled at Lake Monticello in Fluvanna County in Central Virginia and they've been here almost 20 years. He didn't have much leisure time there once he met John Maple, the founder of The Lake Monticello Rescue Squad. At John's urging, he became an ambulance driver, and then became an EMT - Shock-Trauma Level. After 15 years, when he needed to have a pacemaker, he retired as an active EMT but then served as Supply Officer and finally worked with the Auxiliary, supporting and working at Bingo games which was a source of fund-raising. Services will be held at the Lake Christian Church, Friday, May 13 at 10 a.m. Everyone is invited to go to the Maple Room at the Fire and Rescue Compound for food and fellowship. We ask you to tell us of things you remember about Roy - what he meant to you, things he did and how he always seemed to add fun to them all. He seemed to know everyone in the area - you'd hear his name called out at grocery stores, walking down the street, at movies, at concerts - everywhere. To say he will be missed is a great understatement and to say our lives will change so much without him in them is the truth. We feel fortunate to have known him and loved him. Roy is survived by his wife, Lois; his older son, Dan and his wife, Carol and her son, Chris, his younger son, Mike, and his wife, Terri. He adored his grandchildren, Angela and her husband-to-be, Dave Lang , Jennifer and her husband, Keith and their two daughters, Taylor and Rebecca. Also surviving Roy are his brother, Pete Emrich and his wife, Kathy. In lieu of flowers, your contribution to the Lake Monticello Volunteer Fire and Rescue and Water Rescue,10 Slice Rd., Palmyra, VA 22963 would be appreciated. Friends my sign the guest book at:

Published in The Washington Post on May 11, 2011
bullet Coast Guard
Powered By