LAWTON Dr. GEORGE M. LAWTON Dr. George M. Lawton passed away peacefully in the early morning of September 11, 2012 at Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg, VA. He was born December 18, 1927 in Lowell, Michigan to Walter and Gladys Lawton. He graduated from Michigan State University in 1954 with a premedical bachelor's degree and obtained his M.D. from Wayne State University in 1958. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1957-78 in various capacities, including a rotating internship at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Pensacola FL, Senior Medical Officer for the USS Nereus in San Diego CA, a residency in Occupational Medicine at the Kettering Laboratory and the U.S. Public Health Service Research and Training Facility in Cincinnati OH, Senior Medical Officer and Director of Environmental Health Center at NAD Crane IN, Director of the Occupational Environmental Health Division and Deputy Director of the Occupational and Preventive Medicine Division for the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery in Washington DC. For his service in the Navy, he was awarded the Navy Commendation Medal in 1970 and the Meritorious Service Award in 1978. He was a member of the American Industrial Hygiene Association, American Conference of Industrial Hygienists, American Medical Association, American Occupational Medical Association, American Academy of Occupational Medicine, Academy of Kettering Fellows, and Society of Occupational and Environmental Health. In 1976 he received the Gorgas Medal for outstanding service in Preventive Medicine by the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. In 1986 the Navy Environmental Health Center inaugurated a lecture series in his name for recognition of his contribution as an outstanding pioneer in the Navy's Occupational Health Program. In 1989 the Navy Environmental Health Center in Norfolk VA dedicated its new building in his name. After retiring from the Navy he served as the Medical Director for JRB Associates in McLean VA, Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine for UC San Francisco, and Medical Director for Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. In 1988 he officially retired and moved to his farm in Luray, VA where he was an active member of the Christ Episcopal Church, Luray Rotary Club, Tuesday Night Supper Club, and a founding member of the regional center for the Performing Arts of Luray. In later years, his favorite activity was walking the Greenway. He is survived by his wife Barbara; sister Damaris; sons Walter, Evert, and John, stepchildren Anne, Virginia, and William, along with 22 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren. The memorial service will be held at the Christ Episcopal Church in Luray at 11a.m. on Saturday, September 15, 2012. In lieu of flowers, please make a contribution to Performing Arts of Luray.He is survived by his wife Barbara; sister Damaris; sons Walter, Evert, and John, stepchildren Anne, Virginia, and William, along with 22 grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren. The memorial service will be held at the Christ Episcopal Church in Luray at 11a.m. on Saturday, September 15, 2012. In lieu of flowers, please make a contribution to Performing Arts of Luray.
The Guest Book is expired.
Published in The Washington Post on Sept. 13, 2012