The Edward F. Adzima Funeral Home opened for business in 1935 on Main Street in Derby. Two years later, Mr. Adzima moved his funeral home to a location on Factory Street, close to St. Michael’s Church, where he served many parishioners. A fire in 1944 forced him to relocate again, which he did to our address on Elizabeth Street. Originally the home of R.W. Blake, President of the Sterling Piano Factory of Ansonia in 1880-81, the first floor of the beautiful Victorian home served the public as a funeral home while Mr. Adzima raised his family on the second floor.
His son, Andrew H. Adzima, grew to become an accomplished semi-professional basketball player, and was on the verge of signing with the Boston Celtics when his father passed away in 1964.
Andy promptly left the basketball court to carry on his father’s legacy. For the following 35 years, Andy served the community of Derby with dedication and distinction.
In 1999, with an eye towards retirement, Andy approached Joseph A. Pagliaro, Sr. of the Riverview Funeral Home in Shelton to purchase his business, and allow it to continue serving Derby with local family ownership. In June of 1999 the purchase was finalized, and Andy Adzima retired.
Family ownership and stewardship continues to this day. Following the tragic loss of Joseph A. Pagliaro, Sr. in 2004, his nephew, Edward J. Sheehy, Jr., son, Joseph A. Pagliaro, Jr., and son-in-law C. Brett Haywood all remain committed to meeting the needs of families that have called upon the Edward F. Adzima Funeral Home for generations, and dedicated to the standard of service excellence established by our founders.
To send flowers to Edward F. Adzima Funeral Home please visit our sympathy store.