John Stephen Meyer
1951 - 2020
Share John's life story with friends and family
Send an Email
Or Copy this URL to Share
John Stephen Meyer

I died a rather happy man on March 12, 2020 in Palm Springs, CA of complications of glioblastoma, that nasty brain cancer you may have heard about. I was one of the lucky ones in that when I was diagnosed in August 2014 I was told I had 14-18 months to live. At the time of my death I was in month 67.

I was born January 7, 1951 as John Stephen Meyer on a snowy morning in Evansville, IN to June Fickas Meyer and Herman G Meyer, both of whom have predeceased me. Others who predeceased me are my brother Gery Meyer and Tony Dunleavy, the man of my life with whom I was blessed to spend 30 years together before he died in 2008. I am survived by my three sisters Millicent Jones of Phoenix, AZ, Donna McFetridge (David) of Cloverdale, CA, and Gayle Collins (Don) of Evansville, IN and my loving boyfriend, Tom Kelly of Cathedral City, CA.

I graduated from Memorial High School in 1969 and for two years I attended the Indiana State University regional campus which is now the University of Southern Indiana. At that time an opportunity to move to California presented itself and I grabbed that brass ring and ran with it, never looking back. I first landed in Palo Alto, CA south of San Francisco and moved about the San Francisco peninsula several times before Tony and I moved to San Franciso a couple months after the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake, which interrupted the World Series. There I stayed until I moved to Palm Springs, CA in 2013. Curiously, while California is often considered the "earthquake center" in the US, and I've been through some doozies, the first earthquake I experienced was the 1968 New Madrid earthquake in Evansville, IN.

I was fortunate to be hired by Hewlett-Packard Company within a year of arriving in California and I enjoyed a 30 year career with H-P before accepting a generous "enhanced" early retirement package in 2002. I stayed retired for a couple years and then worked at a non profit for a year. That was certainly an eye-opener for me. Then I worked for five years in the office of an immunogenetics laboratory at the University of California-San Francisco. The lab performed genetic and DNA testing for patients needing organ and bone marrow transplants. That was some of the most fascinating work I've ever done.

At my request, no services will be held.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in Courier Press from Mar. 24 to Mar. 29, 2020.
Not sure what to say?
3 entries
April 2, 2020
What an interesting life and autobiography obituary. I hope the rest of my life takes me on an adventure the way yours did! May you rest in peace Mr. Meyer.
Lupita Yanez
April 1, 2020
Steve was one of the first boys I met at Memorial due to the segregation of the sexes. When I was a sophomore, there was a computer match dance. Before the dance we filled out a form with some likes and dislikes. I was paired with Steve! We had fun that night. Later, in senior year and the year after, I hung out a lot more with Steve and Randy. Poker games and beer at Dan Beane's (my husband) were a regular weekend activity. In the late 70s, after Dan and I moved to California, we visited him a couple of times in the Bay Area and met Tony. What a nice guy he was, too. Though we drift apart from these early friendships, they remain with us in spirit and are missed.
My condolences to you all.

Renee Foders
Memorial class of 1969
Renee Foders
March 26, 2020
Tom, and all of john's family, you have my sympathy and prayers. I love his personal obituary. He sounds like he was a very strong and kind man. I lost my husband to this horrible cancer also.
Katie Wolf
Share to let others add their own memories and condolences