George P. Honey Jr. (1933 - 2013)

2 entries
  • "Rest In Peace my friend. Enjoyed my time working with you!..."
    - Wayne Hollins
  • "As a veteran, I salute you. Colleen Armstrong,Mt. Shasta,..."
The Guest Book is expired.

George P. Honey Jr.
George P. Honey Jr.
Entiat, WA.
George passed away Nov 14, 2013.
Born August 15, 1933 to George and Hazel Honey at the John and Elizabeth Zachman Pine Creek Homestead in Riverside, WA. The family lived in the Chiliwist area until 1936. George's father was hired by George Miller to pack ore out of the Tungsten Mine and it is then that he moved his family to the Methow Valley. In 1943, the family moved again, setting up home at the Eight Mile Ranch, along the Chewuch River. Then in 1946, George Sr. moved his family once more to a seven acre farm he had purchased near the town of Winthrop. The family grew roots there, planting large gardens and raising animals.
George graduated from the Winthrop High School, class of 1952. He excelled in basketball, baseball, and football. ln March of 1953, George enlisted in the U.S. Army and was sent to Fort Lewis. He was later stationed in Germany and completed his service in 1956. He then moved back home to Winthrop and went to work in the logging industry. After about a year, the lumber mill where he worked went on strike; work was hard to come by, so George moved down to California and went to work for another logging outfit. Again, work became scarce, so George re-enlisted in the Army for another four years. ln the spring of 1962, George met his future wife, Ruth Garrison and her four children, Judy, Bill, Mike and Jackie. They were soon married in Carson City, NV. That same year, George decided to move his new family back to Washington and made a home for them in Twisp. George worked for the Forest Service during the summer months and fell timber for Lloyd Logging the remainder of the time.
In 1966, George and Ruth packed up their home and all the kids and moved to Entiat, WA, as George was offered a full time position with the Forest Service's Entiat Ranger District. He retired from the Forest Service in 1988 and immediately went to work for Arnie Arneson. Together, they managed 38,000 acres of timber for the City of Seattle. George took up auctioneering in 1974. He loved the auction business and made the decision to start his own auction company. ln 1975, Northwest Auction Services was born. He built an auction facility in Entiat and ran the business until February, 2011, at which time it was sold to Booker Auctions. George then became an active board member at Columbia Breaks Fire Interpretive Center, located in Entiat. He was a dedicated Wenatchee Wild and Wenatchee AppleSox fan. He was a member of the Riverside Masonic Temple, Riverside #112, from 1979 until becoming Master in 1987.
George was preceded in death by his wife, Ruth; George Honey, Sr; and Hazel Honey. He is survived by his brother, Ray Honey (Shirley) of Winthrop; stepchildren, Judy Ward (Charlie) of Wenatchee, Bill Garrison (Charlene), Jackie Martin (Tom) of Entiat, Mike Honey of Rock Island and Athena Sandidge (Ray) of Chelan; seven grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren; many nieces, nephews, and cousins; and too many friends to mention. Special thanks to Fred Matthies of Portland: George's long lost cousin. Special thanks also to Cynthia Purcell, close friend and assistant for 15 years, Barbara Kane, Kory Blankenship and Nicole Millington for all the kindness and friendship they gave to George.
A Celebration of George's Life will be held from 1:00 p.m. until 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 14, 2013, at the Cashmere Riverside Center, 201 Riverside Drive, Cashmere. Interment at a later date. In lieu of flowers, please make donations to Columbia Breaks Fire Interpretive Center.

Published in Daily Record from Dec. 7 to Dec. 14, 2013
bullet U.S. Army