Daniel R. Sexton

  • "another year, still miss talking to the "hash slinger" ......"
    - Linda Gamel
  • "It was an honor to serve with this man. Wise and willing to..."
    - DJ Huff
  • "Still reflect on your service to our country the stories of..."
    - linda gamel
  • "To the family and friends of Sgt. 1st Class Daniel R...."
    - Peggy Childers
  • "I was able to travel to Washington DC between 17 Oct and 20..."
    - Linda Gamel

Sgt. 1st Class Daniel R. Sexton, 53, of Fort Richardson died Sept. 10, 2008, in Balad, Iraq, while deployed with the 164th Military Police Company. Military memorials were held Sept. 12 in Iraq and Sept. 16 at Fort Richardson. Interment will be Tuesday in Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., with full military honors.
Sgt. 1st Class Sexton was born Feb. 16, 1955, in St. Louis, Mo. He was raised in St Louis and Wentzville, Mo. He graduated from Wentzville High School and attended several colleges in Missouri while working with his parents in the family business.
He joined the Army at the age of 33, attending basic training and AIT at Fort McClellan, Ala. His assignments included Camp Casey, Korea (2nd ID MPs); Fort Meade, Md. (209th MPs) where he deployed for Operation Just Cause and Operation Desert Storm/Desert Shield; Rose Barracks, Germany (536th MPs); Fort Leonard Wood, Mo. (463rd MPs); Johnston Atoll; Fort Riley, Kan. (977th MPs); and Fort Richardson, where he worked in physical security with the 28th MPs as well as several positions in the 164th.
He was an active member of the Catholic Church, attending Mass on deployment whenever it was available; his soldiers knew not to disturb him when he was reading his daily Bible passages. He was a member of the Knights of Columbus and the VFW.
He met his loving wife Tori while visiting friends in Concord, N.H., on leave after Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm and they were married four months later. For the next 10 years, they moved to wherever the Army sent them until they landed in Alaska seven years ago.
Dan loved to take his boys skiing and snowboarding whenever he wasn't on duty as well as play video games, Rock Band, and watch cartoons with them in the "man-cave." He was very active physically, riding his bike most places and usually running "a few miles to warm up" before reporting for P.T. He may have been the oldest guy in the company, but he was frequently the fastest too. Many of the younger soldiers in the company thought of him as a father figure and frequently confided in him. He hated to be away from home and looked forward to retiring and being able to spend more time with his family. He looked forward to partying with his adult nieces and nephews and their children every year in Texas and very patiently answered every question his young niece, Kathryn, had about the "blow-up world" when he was home on leave this past June.
Survivors include his wife, Victoria (nee Ryan); and his two sons, Shane and Corey, all of Fort Richardson; mother, Norma Sexton of Tomball, Texas; sister and brother-in-law, Doug and Rilene Cobb of Tomball; brother, Bob Edwards of Flint, Mich.; sisters-in-law, Lisa Crawford and husband Rich of Paxton, Mass., and Briana Foley and husband Gabe of Cary, N.C.; mother-in-law, Davida Foley and husband John of Fuquay-Varina, N.C.; father-in-law, Frank Ryan and wife Marilyn of Danville, N.H.; nieces, Julie Perugini (Patrick), Annie Cobb, and Kathryn Crawford; nephew, Tyler Cobb (Andrea); great-nephews, Curran and Kai Cobb and Matthew Perugini; and great-nieces, Ella-Joe Hemza, and Riley-Kate, Annie and Ava Perugini.
He was preceded in death by his father, Riley Sexton; his daughter, Shannon; and his brother-on-law, Sean Foley.

Published in Anchorage Daily News from Sept. 19 to Sept. 20, 2008
bullet Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan