Jason Derek Moore (1967 - 2018)

28 entries
  • "I met Jason when he came to KTUU and I was in the Senate...."
    - Judy Salo
  • "We are so sorry for this loss. Lynn and I always enjoyed..."
    - Lynn and Linda Martin
  • "One of the good guys! I've missed his smiling presence..."
    - Dottie Hill
  • "Thank you Jason"
    - Johnnie Osborn
  • "Watched you on the news for years. Rest knowing you touched..."
    - C S
The Guest Book is expired.

Jason Derek Moore passed away from respiratory failure surrounded by family at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage, Alaska, in the early hours of Sept. 8, 2018. He was 51.
Jason was born on Feb. 5, 1967, in Cherry Point, N.C., to David and Janet Moore.
Jason and big brother Zach were raised in a variety of National Parks and Monuments, primarily in Baker, Nev., until moving to Seward, Alaska, in 1981, to open Kenai Fjords National Park.
In Seward, Jason became a standout high school athlete, competing in basketball, track and cross-country running and participating in wrestling for one season. Jason was the first deckhand for the newly launched Kenai Fjords Tour Company.
In the summer of 1984, Jason was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma and underwent surgery and aggressive chemo and radiation treatment at Stanford University Medical Center. Upon completion of his treatment, Jason returned to Seward to finish his senior year of high school and led the Seahawk basketball team to a championship season.
Jason joined his brother Zach at Washington State University, continuing in the proud Moore Family Coug tradition. At WSU Jason studied communications and journalism and was a graduate of the Edward R. Murrow College of Communication. Throughout his college years, Jason returned to Seward in the summers to work as a commercial fisherman.
In 1989, Jason began his long career in broadcasting, working as a reporter in Medford, Ore., and Monterey, Calif., before accepting a position with KTUU in Anchorage in 1995. At KTUU Jason became known for his gifted storytelling and served as a reporter, anchor and legendary prankster. Jason left broadcasting twice: once in 2002 to serve as Communications Director for the Fran Ulmer for Governor campaign, and finally in 2010 when he transitioned into marketing at MSI Communications and completed his career prematurely as Senior Director of Corporate Affairs for Cook Inlet Region Inc (CIRI).
In death, he is reunited with his mother, Janet; and sister-in-law, Margo McCabe, both of whom he had missed dearly.
Jason was taken from the loves and lights of his life: his daughter, Ellie; stepdaughter, Kiana; and son, Everett. Uncle JJ also leaves behind his cherished nieces and nephews: Ashley, Kial, Michael, Katie, Gracie, Molly, Lolo, Erin, Sarah, Evan, Robert, Madi, Jackson and Alison. Each of the children in his life brought him unique joy and immeasurable pride.
In addition to his beloved children, Jason is survived by their mothers: his wife, Susanna Orr; and former wife, Maureen McCabe Moore. He will remain close in the hearts of his innumerable friends, extended and chosen families, and deeply mourned by his immediate family: his father, David; stepmother, Roberta; brother, Zach and sister-in-law Suzanne; and in-laws, Trevor McCabe, Kristen and Jamie Fritz, Johntiel and Doug Dixon, Steve and Donna Orr, Sharon and Josh Stubbs; and parents-in-law for life, Joanne and Mike Meyers and Bob and Pamela McCabe.
Services will be held on Friday, Sept. 14, 2018, at 3 p.m., in the Discovery Theater at the Performing Arts Center in Anchorage and later in the year at the Baker Chapel in Baker, Nev.

Published in Anchorage Daily News on Sept. 12, 2018
bullet Journalists
Give others a chance to express condolences. Not right now.