More Obituaries for Glenn Graves
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Glenn Graves

1945 - 2015 Obituary Condolences
Glenn Graves Obituary

Glenn Graves passed away in Las Cruces on December 27, 2015 after a short illness. He was born March 15, 1945 in Roswell, New Mexico.

His early years were spent at the family home west of Roswell with his parents J.L. and Sarah Graves and brothers Elbert and Garth. He attended grade school and junior high in Roswell.

In 1959, Glenn's father sold the home place and purchased a small farm near Dexter, New Mexico. Glenn then attended Dexter High School where he played football and was active in FFA. His FFA projects included sheep and pigs. Glenn was also a member of the First Baptist Church of Dexter, where he was active in youth activities. He graduated from Dexter High in 1963. He sold his flock of sheep, which paid for his first year of college at New Mexico State University. He transferred from NMSU to Eastern New Mexico University, where he graduated with a degree in psychology in 1967. While at ENMU, he was active in the Rotary Club and was President of the psychology fraternity.

Shortly after graduation he was drafted and sent to Ft. Bliss, Texas for basic training. He was sent to Ft. Polk, Louisiana for Advanced Infantry Training. After this training he was given a month leave before shipping out to Vietnam in early February, 1968.

He was able to spend Christmas with his parents, who then resided in Alamogordo. His parents later took him to the El Paso International Airport, where he left for Vietnam. He arrived in Vietnam immediately after the Tet Offensive. Upon his arrival, a sergeant told him he could settle in as soon as he cleared the area of Viet Cong. He was assigned to the Wolfhound Regiment of the 25th Infantry Division, which had the mission of taking back villages in the Iron Triangle north of Saigon that had been taken over by the Viet Cong during the Tet Offensive. After several weeks of heavy combat, his unit was hit by mortar fire, which resulted in Glenn receiving a serious head injury. After initial urgent care in a field hospital, he was flown to a hospital in Japan and then to William Beaumont hospital in El Paso, where he received treatment for several months.
While at William Beaumont he was awarded the Purple Heart and placed on 100% disability, before being allowed to go home with his parents.

After his father had a stroke in 1973, Glenn assumed responsibility for his parent's care. In 1980 both of his parents passed away, and Glenn continued to live in the family home.

He was an avid fan of Facebook, and developed many friendships from around the world.

Glenn is survived by his brother Elbert and his wife Jenny of Las Cruces, brother Garth of Rio Rancho, and four nephews and their children.

We pray that Glenn had a speedy journey to his heavenly home.
Published in Alamogordo Daily News from Jan. 3 to Feb. 2, 2016
Read More
Give others a chance to express condolences. Not right now.
More Information