More Obituaries for Raymond Rounds
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

Raymond Kenneth Rounds Jr.

1931 - 2015 Obituary Condolences
Raymond Kenneth Rounds Jr. Obituary

Raymond Kenneth Rounds, Jr., died peacefully at home in Yuba City, the morning of December 25, 2015. Ray was born on October 10, 1931, in Bellingham, Washington, son of Gladys Reynolds Rounds and Raymond Kenneth Rounds , Sr. The family soon moved to Vancouver, Canada, where Ray Senior was the superintendent of a large family lumber business headquartered on Vancouver Island.

Ray soon grew to be a tall, athletic young man, and he was very active in many sports in school. As a Canadian student, he played rugby, not football, and, he was a member of the Vancouver Community Rugby team (VINDEX), which became British Columbia champions. Just before his senior year in high school, he learned his family would be moving to Yuba City, California, where the family had acquired several mills in the area, and Ray's dad would be expected to operate them. It was a jolt for a young man who had been designated as rugby team captain for his senior year and student body president at Lord Byng High School.

Ray and family arrived in Yuba City the fall of 1948, and Ray was soon recruited to play football at YCHS, a small school of just 600 students at the time. He played fullback on offense, linebacker on defense, and did all the place-kicking. He also met the young lady, Jeanine McCorkle, whom he would marry 20 years later. Ray did well enough at football that he was given a scholarship to Notre Dame where Ray selected a science major. The football program was outstanding; there were great coaches and many fine players. But Ray, who had never been particularly interested in academics, soon became concerned about being able to be a strong student as well spend a major part of his time on football, and he decided to put academics first. Because of this decision, he left his football scholarship and Notre Dame. Ray came back to Yuba City and finished his lower division work at Yuba College, but was not eligible to play football because of rules at the time related to his playing out of state the year before.

Ray graduated from Yuba and went on to UCLA to finish his BS in science. While working on his MS, he began teaching, but then he responded to a call from the US Air Force for teachers wanting to teach in Europe. He signed up, and was surprised to be immediately accepted into the program. He taught one year in Oslo, Norway, and two years in Wiesbaden, Germany, for the Air Force. He decided to come back to the States to finish his MS, which he did at CSU: Humboldt, in 1966, and then stayed to teach a one-year sabbatical replacement.

Ray's parents were still in Yuba City, and Ray reconnected in Yuba City with his high school acquaintance, Jeanine McCorkle Crandall. The two were married in 1967 and moved to Hawaii, along with the four Crandall children, where Ray developed and taught the state's strong Marine Science program. He was named Marine Science teacher of the year, and spent his last two years in the state at the University of Hawaii, developing the statewide program. Upon the family's return to Yuba City, Ray taught science classes for both Butte College and Yuba College.

Upon retirement, Ray was able to indulge in something that had always fascinated him-a variety of art activities. He began with some stained glass, stone carving, and wood carving, including intarsia and lathe work. He added water color and photography. The family built a large workshop at their home for Ray's various activities. A close friend, Dave Davini, was so interested in all Ray's various art that he and his wife, Sandy, produced a fine book entitled "The Art of Raymond Kenneth Rounds."

Ray continued his strong interest in sports and athletics. He did cross-country skiing in Norway, and became an avid downhill skier in his 50s in California. He also loved hiking, going into the Grand Canyon twice in his 50s, going back-packing, and doing international travel.

Ray was predeceased by both parents. He is survived by his wife of over 48 years, Jeanine Crandall Rounds, four step-children: Kent Crandall (Becky) of Anchorage, Alaska; Kelly Smurthwaite (John) of West Hartford, Connecticut; Kim Palmer (Steve) of Coos Bay, Oregon; and Clark Crandall of Yuba City. There are nine grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. He is also survived by his sister Betty Johnson (Daryl), of Phoenix, AZ; and his brother, Starr Rounds (Cindy) of Tucson, AZ, as well as his brother-in-law Jerry McCorkle (Carol) of Irving, Texas.

A memorial service will be held at the LDS Church on Butte House Road in Yuba City at 11:00 AM on Thursday, December 31, 2015. In lieu of flowers, donations may be sent to Sutter North Hospice, or other organizations of choice.

Send Condolences at

Published in Appeal Democrat from Dec. 29 to Dec. 30, 2015
Read More
Give others a chance to express condolences. Not right now.