Lloyd B. Dunaway

13 entries
  • "what a nice man he was and i know he'll be missed greatly...."
    - bettye comeaux
  • "Marcus, Just heard the news of your Father. I couldn't..."
  • "Linnell, You and your family are in my thoughts and..."
  • "Linnell, I regret that I will not be at the memorial..."
    - Alice Coker
  • "Linnell, David and Lori, our prayers and sympathy to you..."
The Guest Book is expired.

Lloyd Bartely Dunaway, 83, died at home following a long illness on Tuesday, October 16, 2012. Lloyd was born on August 22, 1929 in Chita, Texas, to the late Jesse Dunaway and Hattie Elizabeth (Madden) Dunaway. He was the fourth of seven children in the family.

He attended the two-room Chita School as a boy, and went on to graduate from Groveton High School in 1945. At age 16 he left home to enlist as a Private in the U.S. Army and serve with the occupation forces in Japan at the conclusion of WWII. After attaining the rank of Sergeant and being honorably discharged from the Army in 1948, Lloyd returned to east Texas to pursue his college education at Sam Houston State University. In 1950, Lloyd was recalled by the Army to active duty in Korea, where he served with distinction in the Signal Corps. In 1951, he returned to the Army Reserve and was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Infantry. On breaks from active and reserve military duty, Lloyd would return to SHSU, where he would eventually graduate in 1953 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Organic Chemistry.

Following his graduation from college, Lloyd embarked on his first career as a research chemist, where for several years he was employed by Dow Chemical in Freeport, Texas. During his time with Dow, Lloyd conducted important research that helped advance the commercial viability of polyurethane products. Additionally, during these years Lloyd was principally responsible for the design of a Cyanide Gas Pilot Plant. Later, while employed with the Texas Plastic Development Corporation in Houston, Texas, Lloyd would serve as Chief Chemist and head up a Research and Development Department credited with creating the first urethane and epoxy coatings designed specifically for oilfield use.

In 1959, Lloyd returned to college, this time to the University of Texas Dental Branch in Houston, where he would study until his graduation in 1962. Following graduation, Lloyd moved with his young wife, Linnell, to Huntsville, Texas, where he would establish his first dental practice. One year later, in 1963, Lloyd and Linnell took a chance on a bright future in Conroe, Texas, and moved south with their infant son, David. With the birth of their second son, Marcus, in 1965, Lloyd and Linnell decided to consider Conroe their permanent home.

Lloyd would continue to balance his military career and his growing dental practice throughout the remainder of the 1960's, finally retiring from the Army in 1970 as a Major in the Dental Corps, after 24 years of active and reserve service. Just as he had always done in the Army, Lloyd remained committed to continuing education following his military service. In recognition of this fact, he was granted a fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry in 1973 upon the completion of more than 2,500 hours of post-graduate study.

After his retirement from the Army, Lloyd focused on the demands presented by a life dedicated to community service and to supporting his family. He would participate in several business ventures over the years, but his true professional calling remained his dental practice, where he treated patients well into his 70's. Lloyd also stayed busy in his time away from work, serving as President of the Conroe Rotary Club, President of the Brazos Valley District Dental Society, as a board member for a variety of local civic organizations including the Chamber of Commerce and the Conroe YMCA, and as a valued member of the "Seekers" Sunday School class at First United Methodist Church in Conroe.

In 2004, after more than 40 years working as a dentist in Conroe, and after catching himself stressing the importance of flossing to the grandchildren of his earliest patients, Lloyd retired from private practice and thereafter dedicated himself full-time to the flossing habits of his own grandchildren. (To be fair, he also had a lot to say about gardening, John Wayne, ice cream, naps, the perfectly acceptable nature of black-ripe bananas, and certain rules-within-the-rules of card games among friends.) Lloyd confided in Linnell at various times over the years that in addition to her love and support, his children and grandchildren provided him with blessings more bountiful than any he had ever imagined he might know.

After a long life lived exceedingly well, Lloyd finally had to concede the race to various ravages including, but not limited to, soul food and the long-term consequences of spectacular Motor Vehicular Accidents. At a point when none of his remaining medical options withstood the scrutiny of common sense and hard experience, Lloyd elected to spend his last days at home, where he remained under the loving care and watchful gaze of family, friends, and a sympathetic, doe-eyed dog of indeterminate pedigree named Buster Brown. This was made possible in large part by the kind attentions of the staff at Traditions Hospice, to whom the family would like to extend its sincere gratitude. The family would also like to especially thank Dr. Shane Simpson, who provided a steady hand and a light heart while caring for Lloyd during these last few years.

Lloyd is preceded in death by his parents and by sisters Verna Chessher of Kountze, Texas, Vera Price of Trinity, Texas, and Francis Waltz of Huntsville, Texas, as well as by his older brother, Hubert Dunaway of Trinity, Texas.

Lloyd is survived by his wife of 52 years, Linnell Anne (Woolsey) Dunaway; by his son David Winston Dunaway, his wife Lori Lee (Goad) Dunaway and their children Jefferson Lloyd and Ellin Elizabeth; by his son Marcus Lloyd Dunaway, his wife Sharon Elizabeth (Rupert) Dunaway and their daughters Madeleine Elizabeth and Catherine Anne; by younger sister Ruth Faye (Dunaway) Morris and her husband Frank; and by his baby brother Doug Dunaway and his wife Jeffie. Lloyd is also survived by numerous nieces, nephews, cousins and in-laws.

A Memorial Service in honor of Lloyd will be held at six o'clock in the evening on Friday, October 19, 2012, in the Chapel at the First United Methodist Church in Conroe (4308 W. Davis Street, Conroe, Texas 77304). For anyone interested in giving flowers, the family would gently request that a donation be made instead to St. Paul's United Methodist Church in Bay City (P.O. Box 587, Bay City, Texas, 77404), to First United Methodist Church in Conroe, or to any other charitable organization of special importance to the giver.

Published on yourconroenews.com from Oct. 17 to Oct. 30, 2012