Harold Moore
1928 - 2020
{ "" }
Share Harold's life story with friends and family
Send an Email
Or Copy this URL to Share
Harold Edward Moore
July 27, 1928 - November 4, 2020
Arlington, Texas - Harold Edward Moore was born in East St. Louis, Illinois on July 27, 1928, the son of Edward Moore and Mary Francis Avault Moore. He passed away November 4, 2020.
He is survived by his loving wife Nona Aston Moore and daughters Tracey Suzanne Hill and Marena LeMasters Gault and husband Roger Gault, and his adored sister Joan Kerr, as well as his much loved grandchildren Katherine Hill Mudd and husband Chris Mudd, Bradley Thomas Hill, Marielle Lee LeMasters, and William Edward LeMasters, as well as son in law Bob Stewart and daughter in law Kendra Aston. He was preceded in death by stepchildren Jeffrey Weldon Aston and Sharon Aston Stewart, and his loving brother James William Moore.
Harold graduated from Texas Western College, Vanderbilt University Law, and graduated from The University of Texas School of Law with a Doctor of Jurisprudence in 1955. He was licensed to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court in 1957, and licensed to practice law in the state of Texas. He was Texas Board Certified in Labor Law, Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. Harold served as a 2nd Lieutenant in the U.S. Army.
Harold worked with the office of the state attorney general in Austin before joining the industrial relations department of General Dynamics in Fort Worth. He also was a member of the General Dynamics Speakers Bureau.
Harold was General Manager of North Texas Contractors Association. He made agreements with local unions in a 29-county area of North Texas to act legally as their bargaining agent. The association was a pioneering experiment in regional labor-management cooperation.
Harold taught Labor Relations at The University of Texas at Arlington for many years while traveling the country hearing and settling arbitration cases as an independent arbitrator. Harold published Arbitration Opinions in 25 volumes of the Labor Relations Reporter, as well as in the Bureau of National Affairs.
Harold was a member of the National Academy of Arbitrators, and was an American Arbitration Association Panel Member. He was a panel member for the Cities of Houston, and Ft. Worth, TX, Lone Star Steel, and Pueblo, Co. Harold was a member of the Knights of Columbus, Rotarian, SAE fraternity, and an active member of his church serving as an usher and leader of the Men's Discussion Group.
Services: A viewing will be held from 11-12 p.m. Monday, November 30, at Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Arlington followed by the funeral service at 12:00 p.m. A graveside service will be held at 2:15 p.m. at DFW National Cemetery, Dallas.

To Plant Memorial Trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store.
Published in Star-Telegram on Nov. 22, 2020.
11:00 - 12:00 PM
Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church
Funeral service
12:00 PM
Graveside service
02:15 PM
DFW National Cemetery
Memories & Condolences
Guest Book sponsored by the Star-Telegram
Not sure what to say?
1 entry
November 23, 2020
I'm Frank Newman.
Harold played a major role in my life. I need to say some things about me as a preface.
Harold gave me my first job out of UT Law and as a licensed attorney. He hired me in November 1973 for the princely sum of $11,900.00/yr. I had a dog, car, motocross race bike and a job! I thought I was rich!
My memory fails but the crew at NTCA was Harold, Jim and Shirley. All were the nicest people you would ever want to know and work with. Harold had hired them so they were like Harold.
I less than two months I had a pretty bad crash at a motocross track in Mosier Valley. Not paying attention on the last lap of practice, I slopped over the one side of the track with a big jump and jumped into a tree. Smashed my left foot. After a slap dash repair, I went the following Monday and stayed at it for a couple of weeks. The repair didn't work and then I had to start a program of surgery/in-hospital; home recuperating; back to surgery; repeat. Mr. Moore visited me, of course.
This had gone on several weeks when he came to the hospital and told me the Board of Directors could not pay me anymore. I totally understood. He said, however, that he would hold the job open for me! More hospital/recuperation etc. Finally, I made it back and had a great welcome by a happy crew. I know Harold talked the Board into holding the job open. He could not have known, because I did not know, how long it would be. But, he got them to wait.
NTCA was formed under a law that allowed all the major commercial contractors in Dallas, Tarrant and surrounding counties to work together to negotiate with the Building Trades Unions. Otherwise, it would have been an anti-trust violation for the companies to agree among themselves on wages, hours and working conditions they would let into the labor contracts. All the contracts expired at the same time and there were months before and after of negotiating and fussing and fighting. Lockouts and strikes. It was wild. NTCA, under the incredibly experienced guiding hand of Harold Moore got it done.
There came a time when Harold fell about three feet off a ladder while painting his house. I visited him in the hospital. He had steel rods through his tibia and femur with cables on each end of each rod leading to weights through a pulley system. It was horrible looking. When I walked into his room he was grinning as ever and started making self-deprecating jokes. It was a terrible injury and he was under a lot of paid but didn't show it and certainly did not ask for any pity. He was brave.
Before NTCA, Harold had been a labor negotiator for General Dynamics for years. He would entertain us with stories of his battles with the Machinists and other tough unions. One was that sometimes, before an arbitration hearing, he would put a thin wire lengthwise through the middle of a cigarette or two (people smoked in hearings and trials back then). During the hearing he would be smoking and a long, long ash would form - the entire length of the new cigarette. People would start paying attention to Harold's cigarette waiting for the ash to fall off instead of listening to what the union guy was saying and miss the whole union story!
After all the union contracts and resulting legal fights were over, we were set for several years and there was really no place for me. If Mr. Moore asked me to stay it would have slowed my career. If I had tried to hold on, it would have been a waste of NTCA money. I knew it well before Mr. Moore brought it up. He agreed to let me stay on until I found a new job - which I did. I got a job as Assistant General Counsel for one of our big members. I know Harold put in a big, strong word for me.
Mr. Moore was a great guy, smart, creative, insightful and just a great boss. To know he is gone leaves a big hole in my soul.
Frank Newman
Invite others to add memories
Share to let others add their own memories and condolences