More Obituaries for William Temple
Looking for an obituary for a different person with this name?

William Edward Temple M.D.

1930 - 2018 Obituary Condolences
William Edward Temple M.D. Obituary
William Edward Temple, M.D. June 6, 1930 - October 5, 2018 San Diego William Edward Temple, M.D., of San Diego, California, passed away peacefully on Friday afternoon, October 5, 2018, at Merrill Gardens, his residence in Banker's Hill, after a short period of declining health. Bill, who was 88 years old, was preceded in death by his father, mother, and brother. He is survived by his sister, Marguerite Martin; his daughter and son-in-law, Kara and Steven Barnett; his son, Douglas Temple; nieces, Cyndi Stivers and Karey Eischeid; and four grandchildren. He was born and raised in Ridgewood, New Jersey, to Olive Marguerite Crosby Temple and Harold Dudley Temple. He graduated from Ridgewood High School in 1948. Immediately after high school, he worked for the American Telephone and Telegraph Company (AT&T) as an office boy for two years, and then for the New York Telephone Company as a frame man. Bill attended the School of General Studies at Columbia University, where he rowed with the Columbia crew team on an 8-man shell. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1956, and subsequently graduated in 1960 from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia's medical school. He then traveled to Chicago to do a rotating internship at the University of Chicago Hospitals. While he was a research fellow for the American Heart Association, his group ran the first cardiopulmonary bypass equipment for open-heart procedures. In 1962, he was drafted into the Air Force and was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio, where he conducted research with NASA on vibrational and impact problems associated with the Apollo rocket. He always had a fascination with space and for a time dreamed of becoming an astronaut. He also became an Air Force Flight Surgeon and earned a civilian pilot's license. In 1964, he moved back to New York and began a four-year orthopaedics residency at Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. In 1968, he moved his family to San Diego and practiced general orthopaedics until retiring in 2001. He fulfilled many roles during his career, including Chief of Orthopaedics at Mercy Hospital, and was active with the San Diego Blood Bank. He had a practice in Borrego Springs, which gave him an excuse to fly a Beechcraft Musketeer into the desert weekly for office hours. When not flying, he loved speeding around in his BMW, which had a bumper sticker that read: I AM NOT DRIVING FAST, I AM FLYING LOW. A music lover, he sang with the San Diego Master Chorale for years, and he kept fit through his membership in the San Diego Rowing Club. A sharply intelligent man with a fine attention to detail, he also had a gentle side and enjoyed sharing stories, laughter, comfort food, and martinis with his friends and family. He loved to hike, and climbed Mt. Whitney with his son. He also loved to ski, a passion he shared with his son and daughter. He will be missed dearly by all those he touched and helped through the years. In lieu of flowers, please make any donations to the Ridgewood YMCA for the exclusive use of YMCA Camp Bernie in Port Murray, New Jersey. This camp was named after Bernard Forster, who was a benefactor to many and supported Bill's college education funding so many years ago.
Published in The San Diego Union Tribune on Oct. 21, 2018
Read More
Give others a chance to express condolences. Not right now.