WELLAND, Robert Philip Rear Admiral, RCN Died 28 May, 2010, in White Rock, B.C., after a brief illness. Born in Oxbow, Saskatchewan 7 March 1918. Father of Michael, Tony, Christopher and Gillian (Christauria). Stephanie their mother, predeceased him, as did his companion, Margot Hanington. He is survived by two sisters, Greta (Mrs. Allan Torrie) and Pamela (Mrs Alan Abercrombie), his grandchildren, his sister-in-law Helma Campbell, and by many nieces, nephews and step-children. He grew up in McCreary and Dauphin, Manitoba. He joined the Navy at age 18 as an officer cadet and spent the next 4 years at sea with the British Navy. In 1940 he joined the destroyer, HMCS St Laurent participating in the evacuations from Dunkerque. Always in destroyers during World War II he became captain of HMCS Assiniboine at age 25, and was captain of HMCS Haida (now a museum in Hamilton, ON) for the last year of the war. He commanded the destroyer HMCS Athabaskan in Korea for the first year of that war. In peacetime he commanded the cruiser HMCS Ontario, the Naval Air Station, HMCS Shearwater, founded the Officer training establishment HMCS Venture and commanded the Canadian sea-going fleet during the Cuban Missile crisis in 1962 from the aircraft carrier, HMCS Bonaventure. He became a specialist in anti-submarine warfare during World War II and was active in the development of new ships and equipment throughout his 30-year career. He retired in 1966 as a Rear Admiral, having become Vice Chief of Naval Staff. After his retirement from the Navy, he entered the aircraft related industry. He was a director of the Canadian Air Industry Association and president of his own air traffic control company for many years. He maintained naval connections serving as Honorary Chairman of the Navy League and participated in the Naval Officers Associations. Donations may be made to the Naval Benevolent Society. The funeral will be celebrated on Friday, June 4th at Victory Memorial Park Funeral Chapel, 14831 28 Avenue, Surrey, B.C. at 1 p.m. 591244
Published in The Times Colonist on Jun. 1, 2010.