Eleanor Christine "Elly" Glass, born March 4, 1915 in Vienna, Austria. Daughter of Alois and Anna Knopp, leatherware manufacturers. After graduating public schools, she entered the dressmaker's trade. In 1936 she received her masters and became the youngest master dressmaker of the Viennese Guild. In 1937 she married Henry Glass and opened her own dressmaking business which continued after her immigration to America in 1939. She moved to Chicago in 1941 and taught her trade for several years at the Art Institute of Chicago and the YWCA. Mrs. Glass is preceded in death by her husband, Henry. She is survived by her daughter AnneKarin (Clebia Nunes DeSenna); son Peter; and granddaughter Katherine Nicole. A visitation will be held Saturday, February 20, 2010, from 2 p.m. until time of the service, 4:30 p.m. at N.H. Scott & Hanekamp Funeral Home
, 1240 Waukegan Rd., Glenview (just south of Lake Ave. on west side). Interment private. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to The Elly Glass Project (www.EllyGlass.com
- 33 Jennings Court, San Francisco, CA 94124), a documentary film being made about Elly's heroic journey to the Berlin Gestapo to secure the release of her husband, Henry, from Buchenwald concentration camp. It recounts his success as one of the icons of mid century industrial design and her role as the great woman behind the great man. Funeral Info 847-998-1020.
To plant trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store
Published by Chicago Tribune on Feb. 14, 2010.