May 1, 1931 - May 28, 2014 Orange County Rabbi at Temple Beth Tikvah Fullerton. He was president of the O.C. Board of Rabbis, Pacific Association of Reform Rabbis and member of Fullerton Interfaith Ministerial Association. Rabbi Asa was part of the international committee that recognized Bulgaria for saving 50,000 Jews from the Nazis during World War II. Born in Bulgaria, he fled in 1944 to Israel and served in the IDF. In 1963 Asa became Director of the World Union for Progressive Judaism of Latin America and established Congregacion Emanu-el of Buenos Aires with wife Elaine. In 1966, he became Rabbi at Temple Beth Tikvah. After retiring in 1996 he served as Senior Chaplain at Metropolitan State Hospital, Norwalk and Fairview Hospital, Costa Mesa. Rabbi Asa is survived by his wife, Elaine, his four children and fourteen grandchildren.
Published by Los Angeles Times from Jun. 20 to Jun. 21, 2014.