SIDNEY TODRES
1932 - 2021
BORN
1932
DIED
2021
TODRES--Sidney. Gigantic heart, quick wit, generous, loyal, perpetually optimistic. A true mentor and patriarch. Sid died at home surrounded by his wife of 62 years, Bunny, and his two children, Debbie and Mark, on January 21, 2021. He was 88 years old. The son of Polish immigrants, Sid was born in 1932 and grew up in Lakewood, NJ where he lived above the family's chicken coop business. Sid was the first in his family to attend college and he made the most of it graduating Phi Beta Kappa and magna cum laude from Tufts in 1954. He went on to graduate from Harvard Law School in 1957 where he majored in commas, and semi-colons; and supported himself at the expense of his poker buddies. Sid remained close with many of his fraternity brothers from Tufts and friends from Harvard. During his last year at Harvard, he met Bunny Meadow, winning her over on their first date in spite of making her push his car when it wouldn't start. Apparently, that clinched it for him! They married in 1958 and settled in Scarsdale, NY where they raised their children. Sid worked hard as a corporate lawyer, but always made time for his kids, coaching Mark's championship basketball teams in the early 1970s. During this time, he was diagnosed with what would be the first of his major health challenges, aplastic anemia. When told that he had a 90% chance of dying, he retorted that that meant he had a 10% chance of living. He required regular blood transfusions, which he would schedule for Friday nights after work. Sick and often weak, he nevertheless never missed coaching a game on Saturday mornings. Proving the odds-makers wrong, live on he did! Great friends in Scarsdale, incredible success as a business lawyer, family vacations to the Caribbean, international travel with the International Lawyers' Network, dining at amazing restaurants both domestically and abroad, and six grandchildren were his passions over the succeeding half-century. He loved the ocean and would spend hours snorkeling. Everyone who has spent time with Sid knows of his well-tuned internal divining rod that would point him to ice cream on any continent. Sid was proof positive that one can live well into their 80s on an ice cream diet. His colleagues at Epstein Becker have missed his afternoon pretzel and ice cream deliveries. While many grandparents believe their grandchildren are the smartest, kindest and best looking, Sid knew it for a fact. He suffered from Parkinson's disease for the last 22 years, and, as a result, broke too many bones to even count. Yet, whenever asked how he was feeling, his reply was, "pretty good." He never lost his will, courage or good humor, inspiring all of us. Sid is survived by his wife, Bunny, his daughter, Debbie Todres, his son and daughter-in-law, Mark and Benay Todzo, his grandchildren Quinn, Miles and Blake Todzo and Vanessa, Ally and Melanie Freifeld, as well as his nieces and nephews and their children. The family appreciates the outpouring of love and support from Sid's many friends and family and our hearts go out to the hundreds of thousands of other families who lost loved ones due to the pandemic. There will be a Zoom Memorial on January 31, 2021. For information, contact: [email protected] gmail.com

Published by New York Times on Jan. 24, 2021.
To plant trees in memory, please visit the Sympathy Store.
MEMORIAL EVENTS
To offer your sympathy during this difficult time, you can now have memorial trees planted in a National Forest in memory of your loved one.
MAKE A DONATION
MEMORIES & CONDOLENCES
Add a Message


Not sure what to say?



20 Entries
Sid was loved by all he worked with, including myself. A generous soul.
Richard Schwartz
Coworker
February 2, 2021
I practiced with Sid at EBG for two decades until about 12 years ago. Sid was special and will be missed.
Richard Schwartz
Coworker
February 1, 2021
We wish to send our most sincere condolences to Sid's family, specially to Bunny
We met Sid during the ILN conferences around the world, and it was always a pleasure to share wonderful moments with him and Bunny. Everybody at ILN will miss such a great man, although he will always stay with us somehow
Jaume, Marta and Jordi Brosa
Friend
January 31, 2021
My deepest sympathies to the entire Todres family. We shared friendship and fond memories from so many years ago. You are all in my thoughts during this difficult time.
Leslie Birnbaum Kline
Friend
January 30, 2021
Arlene and I send our deepest consolences to Bunny and all of the children and grandchildren. In the Todres family
.
Sis was a wonderful human being - he wa kind,, caring and devoted to Bunny and the children. We cherish our friendship. He will be long remembered

Arlene and Irwin Birnbaum
Irwin birnbaum
Friend
January 29, 2021
I was the first associate hired in 1975 at the small law firm then known as Lowenthal Landau Fischer & Todres.
Though I didn’t work directly with Sid, he was always very gracious and supportive. Sid and I lunched together often—he introduced me to sushi. Sid was the sweetest man—smart and very kind. He appeared to love being a lawyer and took great pride in his work and in his sense of honor.
Though I haven’t seen Sid in decades, I remember him very fondly. He was a quiet great man.
Larry Ginsburg
Friend
January 29, 2021
Jackie, Vin, McCailey & Steven
January 28, 2021
The Dermans
January 27, 2021
Over many years, the Todres were as much our family as our friends. We shared hilarious vacations, sacred holidays, innumerable joys, and unanticipated crises. The words in Sid's tribute are far more eloquent than anything I can add. If an embrace, virtual rather than real, can be received over miles and time, here is mine to enfold Bunny, Debbie, Mark, and their families during this unfathomable period of sorrow.
Judy Cutler
Friend
January 27, 2021
Your meeting house family
January 26, 2021
The Residence on Madison Condo
January 26, 2021
My deepest condolences to Bunny, Debby and Mark. I have so many wonderful memories of our times together in years gone by. Sid was such a loving, warm, intelligent and caring man. I am sure he left a beautiful legacy of his virtues to the family and all who knew him. With my deepest sympathy to old friends at this difficult time.
Jo Anne Glassner Landi
Friend
January 25, 2021
Alan & Patricia Griffiths
January 24, 2021
Dear Bunny, Debbie and Mark,
I was so sad to hear about Sid"s passing. I got to know Sid well in my last few years in Scarsdale as we took walks together many mornings. I have a lot of fond memories of your family from Heathcote School. The New York Times obituary truly captured the special person he was. You are very much in my thoughts today.
Art Resnick
Friend
January 24, 2021
Ken and Joan Kelly
January 24, 2021
Paula and Ira
January 24, 2021
Please except my deepest sympathies, May the love of friends and family carry you through your grief.
Simone Taylor
January 24, 2021
Linda, Elliott and Remi
January 24, 2021
A true gentleman in every sense of the word. Sid was an integral part of our group (ILN), and with his wife by his side attended so man memorable ILN Conferences around the world. Nothing ever seemed get Sid agitated. He rolled with the flow no matter what. EVERYONE at our conferences loved spending time with Sid. Sid you will forever be in our hearts.
Alan Griffiths
Friend
January 24, 2021
He was just a wonderful gentleman that I met through ILN. First a contact then a true friend . He will be sadly missed by me and Fiona, and never forgotten . Our condolences go out to Bunny and his family.
Michael Samuel
Friend
January 24, 2021
Showing 1 - 20 of 20 results