Norma Fink transitioned to life after life on Monday, July 12, 2010. Norma, age 81, passed peacefully after a long struggle with injuries that she received from a car accident in October 2005. Norma was preceded in death by her twin brother Norman Carnel and her parents Donald and Etta Carnel. Norma was born in Sacramento, CA on May 23, 1929, and relocated to Reno, NV in 1932.
Surviving members of Norma's family are her beloved husband Robert Fink whom she shared 56 years of marriage; and their five daughters Marilyn, Darla, Renee', Natalie and Nanette; her brother Ed Carnel, her sister-in-law Patricia Carnel, and her nephew Chris Carnel. Norma is also survived by nine grandchildren, and two great grandchildren.
We all truly miss her beautiful positive demeanor, her joyous smile and her genuine loving kindness and compassion for every living thing. Her rose garden was legendary! Norma lived a full life which entailed many adventures and great fun.
As a long time resident of Reno, Norma was very well known and highly respected in her community. She graduated from the University of Nevada, Reno in 1951. Norma met her husband Robert ‘O' Fink as a Service Club Director for the 6th Army in 1953. Robert and Norma married in Yellow Springs, Ohio in 1954, where they returned to Reno in 1956. Norma and Robert were involved in raising and breeding dairy goats and started their highly esteemed dairy goat herd, "Springhaven" which was highly respected for many years.
Norma started conducting business in Real Estate in 1965 in Reno, when she initially received her Real Estate Sales license and went to work for Rogan Realty. After obtaining her Brokers license she opened her own office, Norma Fink Inc. Realtors, in 1967 in Sun Valley, NV where she continued to practice Real Estate until her accident in 2005.
Norma was instrumental in creating the Sun Valley General Improvement District where she campaigned on the back of her horse named "Warrior" to help gather signatures from property owners to donate property easements for the fledgling Sun Valley Water Company in 1965-1966.
Norma's list of accomplishments is longer than there is space to write, however it is only fitting to make mention of some of her notable achievements:
• Member of the National Association of Realtors
• Instructor Graduate of the Realtors Institute in 1971-1981
• Member of the Reno/ Sparks Association of Realtors Professional Standards panel from 1974 to 1989
• Chairman of the Truckee Meadow Urban Transportation Citizens Advisory Committee, 1973-74
• Member of the Washoe County Area Transportation Citizens Advisory Committee, 1975-1989
• Non-partisan Director Sun Valley Water and Sanitation District, 1965-1973
• President of the Women's Council of Realtors, 1970
• Certified Accredited Farm and Land Member, 1972- 2008
• Named Nevada Farm and Land Broker (FLI) of the Year 1974 and was State Director in 1979
• FLI President, State Chapter 41, 1984-85
• Reno/Sparks Association Board Recipient of Special Award 1969
• Realtor of the Year 1974
• Chairman for the Farm and Land Institute 1974
• Chapter Chairman Officer training, 1981-84
• Chairman Instructor Development, 1984-1985; Sierra-Reno Exchangers President, 1975-1976
• National Association of Realtors Chairman of Public Relations, 1973-1974
• Editor of the Reno/Sparks Realtors Newsletter 1975-1977
• Chairman of Policy Commission, 1976-1978
• Nevada Woman Realtor of the Year 1980
• Renown Toastmistress, Council President 1981
• "Life Time Achievement Award" from the Reno/Sparks Association of Realtors in 2008.
Norma was a devout member and practitioner of The First Church of Christ, Scientist, Reno NV, and The First Church of Christ, Scientist, (Mother Church) in Boston, Massachusetts. She was very active in her church and loved participating in Christian Science.
Norma was a "gift" to all who had the pleasure of meeting her. And, she will continue ad infinitum to be a source of wisdom and inspiration for those of us who know and love her.
A memorial and Celebration of Life will be held at the Sun Valley Neighborhood Community Center on August 15, 2010 at 2 pm. On the same day Robert Fink has donated a free "Swim Day" in memory of Norma at the Sun Valley Pool. Telephone 775-673-2222.
To plant trees in memory, please visit our Sympathy Store
Published by The Reno Gazette Journal and Lyon County News Leader on Aug. 1, 2010.